Not hitting powerband

heres a pic of the spark plug. It's darker further to the bottom.
image.jpeg

1- Have you leak tested yet ? <<If not than You need too.... Most likely it has an airleak , probably intake as 90% of the time if ever it has been removed it is going to leak there... < usually over torqued (warped) or cracked dry rotted boot. You are getting a new one so :) .. Make sure to use a new gasket and possibly some Yamabond. If you have an airleak you will be chasing your tail trying to jet it correctly.

2- You are running a 210 main jet which is lean. Some Blasters came stock with a 220 but most a 230.. To lean a main jet with even a slight air leak you will be so lean you will never hit the power band. You wont have enough fuel. You could also be so lean as to cause damage as stated..

3- You need to do a "proper" plug chop.

Edit; 88-89 Came with a 220 main jet... < They must have figured quick that a 220 was to close for comfort.

Last edited:
Sorry about the three same posts in a row. It wasn't working good to post a pic at the time and somehow it posted three. I'll leak test it as soon as i get my intake boot. I think I'm gonna buy the boyesen rad valve since intake boots for the rad valve are a lot cheaper. Has anyone used the rad valve before if so are they good?

I have used the Boyesen Rad valve and currently run one on another Blaster.. No complaints from me. Throttle respose is crisp and seems to keep my low end torque when running a larger carb. When ran with a stock carb it preformed well all over. Sometimes used ones can be found for cheap ($50ish) or a new one like $150 ?/,, kinda pricey imo...

Ya they are a bit pricey, but their intake boots are a less expensive that's one of the reasons I want one.

Can anyone tell if I'm running lean or rich by the pics I posted of the piston?