not getting gas

blaster82

Jan 27, 2008
hanover PA
i put my blaster back together today after getting it honed and when i took it outside to start it, it wouldnt even try to start. it has spark but it isnt getting and gas. the reeds have a small chip in them but it ran before. what could this be

nope, its not that either. i just cleaned the gastank out and gas just pours out of the petcock and i just put new jets in it so its definitly not that. i forgot to mention that

Jets are 1 thing, float level is another. Having the cylinder honed is good and bad. What was the clearance between the piston skirt and cylinder before the hone?

I've had people bring their motors to me after a top end rebuild only to realize that they still didn't have enough compression to fire the bike.

it was like right on the line of needing to be bored. the guy at my local dealer does the honing and boring at his house and he said that it just needed honed and a new piston, ill check the compression tomorrow, what should it be. just so you know it ran before i took the top end off, just didnt run right. it had like 75psi then and idk what it is now

even though it may not have enough compression it is still not getting gas, when i take the spark plug out it is bone dry. i bought a new one and it sparks great and looks the same as wheni put it in

The float level is the angle that the tang on the float is bent at (the little metal piece that hits the needle to close the needle valve) if the float tang is bent too high then the float will close the needle before you even have enough gas in the carb to get sucked up by the main jet. Float could also be stuck closed. Turn that little screw on the bottom of the carb loose and see if gas comes out (its on the very bottom of the bowl infront of the vent tube fitting) If gas comes out then you know youre getting gas to the carb atleast.

i knew that all but thanks anyways. so with the float it is just trial and error from what you say, or is there a trick to getting it close on the first try

even though it may not have enough compression it is still not getting gas, when i take the spark plug out it is bone dry. i bought a new one and it sparks great and looks the same as wheni put it in

wrong, wrong, wrong... you need good compression to create a vacuum and pull in fuel into the combustion chamber.. if there isnt enough compression, your reeds wont open, if you reeds dont open, fuel cant get into the motor.

Anything below 95lbs it will be hard to start. Remove the carb and the screws that hold the bowl on. Press the bowl against the carb and turn on the gas, wait 10-20 seconds, turn off the gas , remove the hose and drain the gas into a container. Remove the bowl and pour the gas back into the bowl to see if you have at least 1/2 bowl, if not adjust the floats.