Non-synthetic?

Yfs

Jun 11, 2015
The clutch on my blaster is slipping but only in 4th, 5th, and 6th gear. Is it possible that synthetic oil is making it slip?

Clutch could be at the end of its life. How old is it? Does your oil have frictions modifiers?.. That could be the problem.

i don't know how long the previous owner had used the clutch but I've used it for a year now. I read that if it says energy conserving on the oil bottle then it has friction modifiers. Mine says resource conserving would that also mean it has friction modifiers?

My guess is that it has friction modifiers. You might get away with using ATF type F to run/flush. Run a bit, drain, repeat.
Also make sure it is adjusted in clutch cover and have slack at lever.
Trans oil must be SM or less rating.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I'm running shell. The blue bottle is what I'm currently using the yellow bottle is nonsynthetic. How should the clutch be adjusted in the clutch cover.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    918.5 KB · Views: 223
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 242
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    889.6 KB · Views: 201
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 226
Me personally, I would switch to a known brand or type that has been proven to work efficiently. I would do like Larry said. So to your local auto parts store and grab some Automatic tranny fluid (ATF) TYPE F. Its for cars/trucks vans, but works really well AND CHEAP! Drain your bike, fill this up. run it for a while and repeat the process. Just to get the other stuff out. I actually run ATF in my bike, just so you know im not telling you to run something I wouldnt. Are there other known types out ther? Yes but they are much more expensive than AF lol.

Around here (Belize, Central America) shell is a very well known brand. We have Castrol, monarka and Lucas also. I guess I'll try the ATF stuff and see what that does. Would I have to do oil changes more often with ATF?

Neither of the two you show will work , notice they have a SN rating, must be SM or less. Last one looks like 140w gear/axle oil, do not use.
I have used atf also, you have to change it every 10/15 hours, depending on how you ride.
If it still slips after oil change then adjust inside clutch cover. Now to in online manual.

As to less than "SM" it would be like SG , S L or such. Leastwise here in US the "cheapest" oil available is non detergent straight weight 30, designed for autos built before 1930 or such, rated SA.
Anything rated SN has friction modifiers, do not use !!

I couldn't find any type f ATF around here the only kind I could find said it was for trannys requiring type A and type CL I believe. But I did find some 10w-40 that says it is "guaranteed to meet or exceed car manufacturers warranty requirements where an API service SL, SM or SN and ILSAC GF-3, GF-4, or GF-5 is specified."

Last edited:
Ok thanks. I ordered new clutch plates also, they should be here next week. So I'll see how it works then

Ok thanks. I ordered new clutch plates also, they should be here next week. So I'll see how it works then

in that case, see if you can find Mobile 1 full synthetic 4T
best trans oil I've found yet.

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-4t-motorcycle-oil

• Superb shear stability can help resist viscosity shear down in high-performance engines and transmissions
  • Exceptional thermal stability can help resist oxidation and high-temperature degradation
  • Outstanding protection against wear of engine and transmission components
  • Enhanced lubrication can help maintain maximum power and acceleration over the life of the engine
  • Optimized wet-clutch performance
  • Excellent low-temperature flow characteristics can help minimize engine wear during startup

mobil-1-racing-4t-oil.png