Niche Industries Top End Kit

Discussion in 'Engine Parts' started by Logan, Apr 6, 2015.

1. rich1

rich1 Member

OBD 1,2 Cert.Ford Tech,Cert Gunsmith
    The base gasket is metal... the short studs that are used to hold the cylinder down vibrate loose even with a OEM gasket. A metal gasket will make it even worse. Honda used to send spring metal locking nuts with their HRC 250r short track motor kits.

2. OConnor Racing

OConnor Racing Mines Bigger Technician Forum Supporter

Owner KOR
    I finally got my hands on one of the Niche cylinders. The first thing I found was that it’s 10 oz heavier than a stock cylinder. The exhaust port is .030” higher than stock but the transfer ports are much smaller. At first glance, I thought this would be a nice platform for a ported cylinder so I started grinding. I could tell as soon as I started grinding that the liner was not the same as OEM. It cut like butter and seemed very soft. When I got into the exhaust, I hit a huge void. I still wasn’t concerned and figured I could just weld it up and grind it flush. After I got the porting rough cut, I sent it the boring machine. This is where the house of cards came tumbling down. The cast iron liner is porous and full of voids. We could actually see the material flaking away as the cutter went down. I feel that this cylinder will wear prematurely. Granted that this is only one cylinder but it says a lot about the quality control surrounding this product. To sum it all up……………………Typical Chinese junk that’s produced as cheap as possible. It’s the same scenario as a paper base gasket. It may work but it’s not the same product you get from the manufacturer.
    IMG_1078.JPG IMG_1076.JPG

3. Larry's Shee

Larry's Shee Active Member

Unemployed carpenter
    Leave it to the Chinese to turn our ground up Chevys and beer cans into junk.

That liner makes me think of simular problems with brake rotors.

4. rich1

rich1 Member

OBD 1,2 Cert.Ford Tech,Cert Gunsmith
    Congratulations.....:D...Good work.You just proved what you already knew ! The casting voids are a result of bad pressure casting, air pockets.

5. jus_me

jus_me Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Up until the crap sleeve they looked feasible.. Glad this was done and now all know where they stand..

6. Logan

Logan Member

Uw stout
    And I'm glad that I now have 2 of these top ends sitting in my garage lol I will probably run it for the summer and rebuild it the right way over the winter. Thanks OConnor for the information on them

7. Logan

Logan Member

Uw stout
    So my blaster needed a crank also. So the crappy top end was not my only issue. The seals, bearings, and gaskets have been replaced and I am running the new niche top end with the crappy piston previously pictured. It starts and runs fine but I will be removing this cylinder at the end of the summer. I really don't trust the piston, rings or cylinder after seeing their quality control. I Hope the information Ken OConnor provided helps others.

8. Logan

Logan Member

Uw stout
    So I did want to leave an update on how this top end turned out. It was bad. It worked great in my garage after I straightened out some minor carb issues. I took it up north to run some trails and ran into 4 problems.

The first major one was a tors issue and the second was a clutch adjustment issue from the rebuild (both completely my fault). The third issue I discovered was low compression after an hour of riding (motor was broken in properly before the ride). It started really hard but still ran decent. It got me home and I still had a lot of fun. The 4th problem was that I rolled it on the way to the truck (again my fault for being 290 lbs and riding I tiny fourwheeler).

I didn't take pictures of the top end when I pulled it but it wasn't great. The piston was very pitted after only about 2 hours of fairly light run time. The cylinder walls had marks on them which did not look bad but the low compression told me that it wore fast.

If you are desperate, this kit is for you, but much like a fat chick, you won't want to tell your friends about it and it won't last long. I left a negative review on eBay and the distributor actually called me to remedy the issue. I told them I left an honest review about the fast shipping but poor quality part. They told me they would sent me a new top end kit if I changed my review. I regrettably did. That is why these kits all have good reviews.

I would not recommend this kit. I was warned on this forum and I hope that more info on these kits start surfacing. Thank you guys for all of your help. I did actually trade the blaster for a pretty nice warrior that wasn't running. I got it going and will be riding again soon.

jus_me and Roger555 like this.
  9. pudvah

pudvah I just wanna rip. Forum Supporter

Security Manager
    So you messed around with a fat chick with herpes got burnt then forgave her and traded her for a fatter chick with aids.......nice

jvb and deeeebeeeeee like this.
  10. deeeebeeeeee

deeeebeeeeee Member

Shop (pitching machine) Manager
    LM gd mfin AO
    That's hilarious!
    Might be worth it to get it running long enough to trade up or sell to a deserving mark.

11. Logan

Logan Member

Uw stout
    Haha ya that's a pretty good way to put it. That's what happens when you look for companionship on Craigslist. Bothe the atv's or personal sections.

pudvah likes this.
  12. FORDGUY101

FORDGUY101 New Member

Glad this info is around legit had a niche kit in my Amazon checkout as I was reading this thread lol. Just gunna get cyl bored and go wisco...

OConnor Racing likes this.
  13. OConnor Racing

OConnor Racing Mines Bigger Technician Forum Supporter

Owner KOR