New (to me) 2005 Blaster misc issues

Stryker

Mar 3, 2016
I just picked up a nice '05 blaster. I didn't look it over super well which i should have and when i got it home and rode for a bit i noticed a few things.

1. First gear acts weird when going from neutral to 1st. It sometimes lunges forward a bit and if i dont give it gas till die. It acts like the clutch is only partial disengaged. Weird part is that if i put it in gear and hold the clutch the bike moves forward and backwards freely telling me that the clutch is fully disengaged.

2. There is some sort of what i suspect to be an exhaust leak. I cant tell if its coming from where the exhaust bolts to the head or if its the head itself but oil leaks right there.

3. There is oily dirt on the carb. I dont know if that is from a leak or just what 2 strokes do, but both the top end and carb were rebuilt by a Yamaha dealership.

The bike runs good otherwise, starts first kick every time and is pretty quick for a little 200cc engine.

1. Your clutch actuator sounds like it needs to be adjusted. I believe that's what it's called. I'll be corrected if it's not lol

2. Does it have an upgraded exhaust? Your flange could be cracked/broken.

3. Most likely it has a leak. Is the dirt collecting at the bottom of the carb/bowl?

How long ago was it serviced at the stealership? I would run a compression test/leakdown test just to be sure it checks out well.

1. Your clutch actuator sounds like it needs to be adjusted. I believe that's what it's called. I'll be corrected if it's not lol

2. Does it have an upgraded exhaust? Your flange could be cracked/broken.

3. Most likely it has a leak. Is the dirt collecting at the bottom of the carb/bowl?

How long ago was it serviced at the stealership? I would run a compression test/leakdown test just to be sure it checks out well.

1. Any idea where the allignment marks are for that? I looked and i found an arrow on one part but couldnt find the other arrow/line its supposed to line up with.

2. It has a FMF fatty gold series exhaust with FMF powercore 2 silencer (not much of a silencer if you ask me)

3. I havent taken the carb apart yet. It was just rebuilt so i would hope the carb itself wouldnt be leaking but you never know.

1. Any idea where the allignment marks are for that? I looked and i found an arrow on one part but couldnt find the other arrow/line its supposed to line up with.

2. It has a FMF fatty gold series exhaust with FMF powercore 2 silencer (not much of a silencer if you ask me)

3. I havent taken the carb apart yet. It was just rebuilt so i would hope the carb itself wouldnt be leaking but you never know.

Clutch actuator is wrong. Term I'm looking for is clutch cable bracket. Looks like this:

image.png

I don't have a Blaster anymore, but still have a little knowledge saved up Anyways, you see the red arrows in the pic? Make sure they are even with each other on your bike. If not, adjust as needed.

I don't have a Blaster anymore, but still have a little knowledge saved up Anyways, you see the red arrows in the pic? Make sure they are even with each other on your bike. If not, adjust as needed.

On mine i see the first (top in pic) arrow, just not the other (bottom arrow in pic)? Thats why im a little lost on what im supposed to align it with.

On mine i see the first (top in pic) arrow, just not the other (bottom arrow in pic)? Thats why im a little lost on what im supposed to align it with.
Lol no worries. It's kinda difficult to explain over this wonderful thing called the Internet. On your case, where the bracket sits, there should be a small ridge that lines up straight across with the bracket itself. Let me see if I can find a better pic from a birds eye view.

Lol no worries. It's kinda difficult to explain over this wonderful thing called the Internet. On your case, where the bracket sits, there should be a small ridge that lines up straight across with the bracket itself. Let me see if I can find a better pic from a birds eye view.

I hate to sound incompetent lol but i havent the slightest clue what im supposed to line it up with. Just dont see any kind of alignment mark at all. I would think the shop that rebuilt the thing would have checked that. At 98$ an hour they should do a whole lot more than they do..

I have experience with the fmf fatty untill I got my dmc (which is heaven) but fmf always seems to leak there use some copper rtv and bye bye leak.

I have experience with the fmf fatty untill I got my dmc (which is heaven) but fmf always seems to leak there use some copper rtv and bye bye leak.

Ill go pick some up today and see if it stops. The more i read on the FMF the more i see that they usually do leak.

EiTher find the down load manual on here or get a Clymers Repair Manual, it will help tons.
Good info so far, point on clutch actuator arm aligns arrow point cast in/on engine case. Adjustment is from inside clutch cover.
Try adjusting at the bars first