New to blasters and in need of help!

blair683

Aug 9, 2011
Hi I recently acquired a 1989 blaster. When I first brought it home it would fire right up but then idle kind of high and when you hit the throttle it would die. So I cleaned the carburetor (did not look bad at all) and still the same thing. So after searching these forums I unhooked all of the throttle overide stuff and now when you start it it idles nice and low and smooth but still dies when you try to give it gas. Every once in awhile you can get it to rev up but then it dies almost like it's running out of gas. Like I said the carb looks great and I can blow through all passages fine. I read a little bit about a parking brake sensor but I couldnt find anything on my bike unless someone already took it off. The bad part about the carburetor is someone before I got it striped the threads out on the top throttle cap. I put some thread locker on there and it holds it down good but I also put a zip tie on it. The cap seems to be on nice and tight but could it be leaking air there? My next day off I am going to buy a can of carburetor cleaner and spray around the intake and carb to see if theres any leaks. Do you guys have any opinions? Any information would be greatly appreciated! THANKS!

First off, I would get a new carb. The TOR's is big and heavy and you don't want it to pop off the carb as your riding. It will pull the slide and take off on you. Need to do a plug chop to check your jetting and do a leak down test. There's some part outs on here where you may be able to get a stock carb for a good price.

i got a keihin 30mm or 33 i think for real cheap im not going to use. all thats missing is the little knob on the choke. pm me for details.

u need to do a compression test and put a fresh plug in there, there is also a little screen in the petcock that can get clogged, i would just find u a banshee petcock and swap it out.

When you clean a carb you have to completely take it apart, ALL jets etc. Either soak or spray LOTS of carb cleaner thru all openings, then blow it out. Look at the float needle valve for wear. Be sure you can see through both jets.

As to the stripped cap, I'm in same boat except my body is stripped. Held on with 3bond and zip tie until I can find an 85 carb. If I gotta get a carb might as well up-grade.

When I cleaned the carburetor I did completely dismantle it and blew everything as far as soaking it, I didn't do that. I never did check the reeds although I gave it a thought. What do I look for with the reeds? Cracks and breaks? Now the parking break is a story itself. I haven't had much time to look at it yet. From what I can see someone rigged the crap out of it. The backs brakes don't work the pedal is hard as a rock and the cable runs clean up to the front bumper where someone has a whole other brake lever taped to the back of the front bumper then from there the cable goes to the left front tire. Then the actual brake lever on the bars has a cable that goes to the right front wheel and that's the only brake I have. There's no wires among this mess that I have seen. Not even to the front brake lever other then the wires for the headlight and taillight. Also coming out of the right side engine case I think its the flywheels side, there is two hoses that is plugged off. I don't know if those are just breathers or what. I know you guys are probably thinking this thing is a piece of crap but the body and chasis is in good shape and everything is there and works. I got this thing to fix up while im at home with the kids. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

if it's a pre 03 you don't have a parking brake problem. with the reeds you are looking for them to seat flush against the cage no gaps. and cracks and breaks