new rings after a P&P?????

blaster82

Jan 27, 2008
hanover PA
I just got done porting and polishing my cylinder and I got all the stuff i need to put it all back together but I know some people say that after you take the jug off that you should always put in new rings and at least hone it because it will never seat the same again.

I am kind of torn between doing it or not doing it because all I did was take it off and put it back on. it has a weisco piston so the rings dont move because of the pins so would this cause blow by or anything if I dont put in new rings and dont hone it? or should I just do it the right way?

If im gonna put new rings in itll have to wait till I get my tax money back but I just wanna ride it now!!!!!8-|

With that few hours on the jug there should still be crosshatching on the bore.

You can safely put the existing rings back in.

yeah i can still see the crosshatching and it looks really good. I was told that it will never seat the same so I wasnt sure and I figured Id ask you guys.

X-2 on cleaning it good. A paper towel should come out clean when cyl is wiped. Dish soap& water, blow dry, oil bore.

How come you didn't do any work to the ex?

Do you mean why I didnt do work to the exhaust? or in the video? I heard that you can get blow by from reusing the same rings. and as far as cleaning, my friend has an ultrasonic cleaner that im going to put it in for a few mins then Ill lube her up and install!

I saw in your sig that you didn't do anything to ex, should at least polish it for now. As joeak47 pointed out, the ex is where most of the power comes from. Be aware that a little (1/32") is a lot in terms of crank degrees open port.

As to the rings, as long as they're still in same piston groove they will be fine. If you had more hours on them it would be recomended to change them.

Oh I did port and polish the exhaust. I just didnt list it in my sig. sorry!!!! that was the first thing I did lol. that was the main reason that i wanted to P&P it. I did raise it 1mm also. ill fix that in my sig now. thanks for pointing it out.

Reactions: Larry's Shee
Trying to be sneaky, eh ?? 8-|

You will LOVE the kick in the pants it will give ! ! ! I:I

I didn't exactually "measure" mine, just got rid of the jog right there where the liner and casting meet. Opened it to the dia of the ex gasket then blended it back to port. Widened it a hair also.

Have any pics of your work??

How about some GREEN for "doing it" B)

no I didnt take any pics yet. ill try to get some before it put it on. Ill be putting it back together on saturday so ill try to get them on here saturday. yeah well you can only put so much in a sig and i was already at my limit so I had to skimp a lil on some stuff. I measured it the best i could so its around 1mm.

Trying to be sneaky, eh ?? 8-|

You will LOVE the kick in the pants it will give ! ! ! I:I

I didn't exactually "measure" mine, just got rid of the jog right there where the liner and casting meet. Opened it to the dia of the ex gasket then blended it back to port. Widened it a hair also.

Have any pics of your work??

How about some GREEN for "doing it" B)
Its not the prettiest but from how it ran yesterday with the head mod and VF4's all i can say is WOWI:I and taht is before I even tuned it. I didnt have time yesterday. I just threw a 320 main jet in it to see if it would start and it ran a little rich but ill tune her next time I get to go over.

Attachments

• IMG_0858[1].jpg
    IMG_0858[1].jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0859[1].jpg
    IMG_0859[1].jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0861[1].jpg
    IMG_0861[1].jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 151
It wouldnt let me upload a pic of my exhaust port but like i said..... I raised it 1mm and cleaned up the boogers and polished her so I can see myself in it.

thanks larry. I was gonna go a little more in depth with the intake but I didnt want to screw anything up cause I know it dont take much to make it worse than stock.

yeah larry. I watched all of those videos and followed them the best I could. I actually even called ken and asked for a few pointers and he also helped me out a lot! along with the awesome hemi head he cut for me. I cant wait to get her tuned properly and then see how she really rips! next project for it is getting it to stop!