new piston.?

ringoflowers

Aug 26, 2011
oakland, tn
I've had my 94 blaster for a while and I love it. The oil dispenser quit mixing the oil and it made the piston seize up. It is all stock, and now I want to rebuild it. I am buying a Namura hi-comp piston .080 68mm. And I am taking the top end to have it bored out. What I would like to know is is this a good change in size? And how much is it boreing over? Should I have the exaust ported, and how much number wise so I can tell him? And what else should I do as far as reeds, carburator and what not. I just would like to have the best performance out of my blaster I can get.

For the reeds and carb go to Chapparal they sell Boyesen Pro Series Reeds for $56 shiped insted of everyone else where it's $56+8 s/h if it's an individual part. The carb you could get a 30MM from Project blaster for about $170 or so already set up with jets and floats set and stuff I think yes it's a bit high but their made to last. But not so shure I personaly use a Kehiln 30oko with no problems for what I ride. As for porting there are many different ones Ken O'connor seams to be a popular one along with Flotek Kens more fimilar with very good trail ports however he's fluent in many different porting languages and most of the people seam to use flotek for a very mild drag racing port to me. Trinity racing is notoriously expencive but nothing beats their reliabilty and power expecialy when it comes to their dune ports. and all kinds of porting affects the power deliverly via transfer ports because the more air that's screaming into your enging the more big numbers and power you produce. But like all things of corse their are limitation. To answer your question is a it a good change in size, in my opion any change in size is bad, expecialy when it's your last bore a 68.25mm is the last known size. So for future referance for every .010 in size the piston size increases in .25 of a mm which adds up yes but in the reality of things no. If your doing this to add much expected power their are much better solutions like buying a 240cc BBK from vito's, airsal from Project blaster, ct 240 from CT racing, and PaulTurner performance and in their own right expencive 500 for the cheapest/vito's also with the most casting flaws as well as I understand it. Good luck now that I think I covered everything

Well I'm actually not doing it for speed it was fine just the way it was. The only reason I'm rebuilding it is beacause when it seized up it scratched the cylinder walls. I was just wanting to know when I up the piston size do I have to change anything else. And I'm putting a fmf pipe on it so should I port the exaust.

It seems to me that you are just trying to get it running for to be as realiable as possible and gain a lil performance at the same time. Nothing wrong with that.
Those Nam. pistons don't have a good rep for reliability. A Wiseco forged slug would have been the way to go.
As far as mods, some easy ones to do would be to raise the exhaust port a lil for more power. This would come at a higher RPM.
Some other cheap simple things to do would be to advance the timing, shave the head or lighten the flywheel.

A friend suggested that I do the .080 over, he said it would make it a little spunkier. And the only reason I was going with the brand is that's what I found on eBay for a cheap price. My wallet stays pretty tight most of the time and I just want to get my bike running good again. And I haven't placed the order for the piston yet I was waiting to see what I could find out on it, and I do believe I am fixing to look up the wiseco and check it out. So would the next size up be the 67mm piston I was looking at.

Only bore what is needed to clean it up. You will only gain .0001HP (aproxamated on @$$ dyno) by boring to max. As to what size is needed it needs to be measured to determine what size you need to go up to.

sorry bout the rant just send your cylinder to your local powersports guys and ask lots of questions about what you need.I bet the'll be extatic to help ya out. If you really need a piston vito's sells a forged wiseco one with rings and such for $84 plus s/h still pretty cheap. good enough to make both you, your wallet and your blaster and last a good long while.