New piston, now wont start

Uptown_Blaster

Mar 15, 2010
Philadelphia
I just got a piston and rings yesterday. I broke the bike in and it was running pretty good. Then I noticed the idle was ridiculously high. I tried the large screw under the seat but when I turned it nothing changed. My cousin suggested the air/fuel screw on the carb. I was already about four turns open but as I begin to turn it the bike idle got lower and then cut off. I assumed this was the cause of the high idle since we got a repsone when i turned it.

As we continued to try and find a nice idle the bike got harder and harder to start and eventually it wouldnt start at all. It even misfired twice. I have no idea whats going on. Im really frustrated because this is a fresh top end.

Im really trying to figure out what I did wrong and what I should be doing. I'm still a little new to this so please help.
thanks

your airscrew should only be 1 to 2 turns out, and as for the high idle, i'd say you have an airleak, what did you torque the head and base nuts to???, and did you retorque them after the heat cycles???

I agree with awk and freek sounds like an airleak. Did you retorque the head and the cylinder after you did your heat cycles and break in period. You should also check the reed cage bolts.

As for the tors you should get a tors deletion kit with a new idle screw.

I did not re-torque the head and reed cage bolts. Could that be why its not starting at all now. and Im pretty sure the tors is disconnected but without the deletion kit, is that why the idle screw under the seat was not having an effect?

Well I got it started again but it is still idling high as hell. I retorqued the the bolts from the cylinder head up, including the reed cage bolts. Some were slightly loose but nothing major. Could the tors possibly be causing this? Should i start spaying carb cleaner to check for air leaks?

Did you check the cylinder base bolts also?

I know that if the idle screw on the T.O.R.S. is stripped it will cause an airleak also...

did you replace the head/base gaskets with the top end? and did you have the cylinder honed/bored to the new piston? i say youve still got airleak

Everything appears ok. Everytime I get it started, I try to adjust the idle and then it bogs down and i cant get it started again. I ordered the tors kit. I am hoping that when I remove the tors that my problems will be solved.