new owner from indiana

Jul 5, 2015
wabash, IN
I've been browsing the forum getting good info from you guys. Thanks. I just joined but you guys helped me purchase my 2001 blaster. Everything is stock that I know. Besides rims and tires. I haven't messed with 2 strokes much besides my diet bike I had when I was younger which I didn't have long.
As of right now I know I need some reeds. Was riding yesterday when I bogged out and died. Had spark and a friend of mine told me to check the reeds both sides were gapped a little. He had a set for one side changed the side that was worse. Took pulling it to start but ran great. After that I was able to shut off and kick it. Any ideas what else could be going wrong?
20150628_155557.jpg

I would do a compression check. check jets too, you never know about previous owners

You also have a DG pipe, not much of an upgrade but its not stock.

BTW, thats is one darn clean machine. lookin good

First off welcome. Very nice clean blaster you have there. Low compession makes for hard starting and usually once warm it is easier.

Welcome to the forum man, that bike is super clean good score. What everyone above said plus I would add to either buy a leak tester from Awk or use the instructions on this site to build one and do a leak down test.

Prob wouldn't be a bad idea to open the carb up and and see what jets are in there. If you are pre mixing your gas and airbox lid is removed you need to go up a few sizes. Also make sure the oil injection port on the carb is blocked off ( if you are in fact pre mixing).

I'll check into leak testing. The previous owner said he rebuilt. Gave me the bad piston and he replaced the clut h basket. Got it too lol. But I'll get it tested. Still has the oil ijection on it. Thanks for the compliments. It has ran great until I fouled my plug taking my daughter around the yard. First time riding after plug change lasted like 15 min. Changed the one side of the reed and ran for another 15 min or so but ran great.

So I checked the jetting. Main 230 pilot 32.5. Pilot was dirty not blocked off but dirty. Main was clean. Bowl is clean as well. Looked good actually. I don't know how everyone else cleans their jets but I use guitar string and rotate the jet on there.
So the pilot jet could be the cause for the hard starts but what about the reeds could that do that as well?

Welcome.

The reeds being bad could make for a hard start. That or low compression

It's a good idea when you clean your carb to spray crab cleaner through all passages and jets, then blow them out after with compressed air.

Welcome.

The reeds being bad could make for a hard start. That or low compression

It's a good idea when you clean your carb to spray crab cleaner through all passages and jets, then blow them out after with compressed air.

I used carb cleaner for the jets and passages. I need to get a compression tester. Haven't had a chance to try and start it since I cleaned the carb. It was 3 something in morning and the wife wouldn't appreciate it much if I woke her up lol.

welcome to BF,
damn clean blaster for the year, good grab !

try adjusting the airscrew to find highest idle, should help with starting.........
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/adjusting-your-airscrew-pilot-jet.51060/

wouldn't hurt to check the float height too
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/float-heights-and-how-to-adjust-them.50565/

shouldn't be fouling plugs that easy
what plug you running ?.... NGK B8ES
air filter clean and oiled ?

I'm currently running B8es plugs. The second time I had trouble it wasn't due to fouled plug. I still had spark. When I put the carb back on I did set the mixture screw to 1 1/2 turns out. Didn't have time last night to mess with it. I'm positive the filter needs cleaned or replaced. I'm not sure what filter it is but doesn't look stock. Has Uni stickers but doesn't mean that's what it is. Lol. There were leaves in the airbox somehow. Cleaned it all out and looked ok but I'm sure it needs something. Can you clean with dawn soap and water? And what oil to use?