new mods and admin....

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW can cbaber help me with a problem, i cant post in my thread "Latino Blaster" when i try it says HTTP Internal Server error 500

I gotta say...there is a lot of knowledge on here. There are only 2 issues that I feel aren't being addressed here, and yes I am a supporting member because I know it costs money to maintain a site as it grows.

1. Usage of cussing. I cuss, to an extent, but we got to remember that this is a "family" oriented site and I for one know if I saw my son post on here with a dirty mouth, i would feel ashamed. I know not all traffic on here can be monitored, but some of it becomes ridiculous. One site i was a member of, and still am, puts characters in place of curse words. That seems more "professional" to me....but that's my opinion.

2. The 15 character limit for posts. Yeh it does get annoying...and I didn't know about the PM rule?

I feel if there could be some kind of moderation in posting, then it would ease up tension and what not. I know not everyone can live on their computers and moderate everything that is happening here, but as 370 has done, and that is dedicate A LOT of time to the forums, then it can be handled. Mods and admins pretty much take an oath to monitor lots of traffic on a site, so be able to keep up with it is all i can say about it.

I am a member of PSJ too, and I must say it is handled professionally there. If they keep the air clear like that, and monitor people who are bashing or being outright...pardon my french...but smartasses, then the site would have some character added to it.

That's just my .02....

370 needs to post his knowledge in here, hes run 2 different forums..admin, mod..etc. not everything is free, not everything costs money....most people are asking for simple adjustments.

and sorry, but if you are an admin or mod...you should be and active member, not hiding, searching....you should be an even more active member than the active members..this is your site...you wanted the admin or mod spot, so take pride in it, and help support YOUR site. not saying live here, but dedicate your time here...as most people on here want. they want really easy access to all of their mods and admins..psj is really easy to get ahold of any of our admin/mod staff....

My job keeps me form logging onto the internet from friday afternoon until Sunday night. Other than that if you need to contact me send me a PM and with the exception of the weekend I will respond withing 24 hours. Most likely less, probably within a couple of hours.

some of what CC said in his long post is true.. things like changing the skin (forum background) is pricey.. especially for a custom skin.. i have always used the free downloadable skins myself.. because i have heard how much a completley custom skin can cost.. mods and admins may not post much... especially on a forum that is the size of this one cbaber is probably busy answering pm's checking this and that. checking things in moderation queue.. theres more to it then snapping your fingers and it's done.. keeping your site running smoothly is not easy.. servers aren't free either and some software is pretty pricey...

BUT!! there are things that don't cost ANY MONEY. for example.. the things i mentioned before are free... they are adjustments or rule changes.. if you want to speed your site up a bit without spending more money on server space. you have to limit server load.. things like PICTURE SIZE!! sig pics and posted pics put load on the server. now if you use the pic resizer program it will resize any BIG pics to a veiwable and managable size.. this is a free download from vbulletin.com that is where i got it for powersportjunkies.com.. and it works great.. open up the zippered folder and insert into the server by following the simple rules in the file packet included in teh zippered folder. if you'd like i'd be happy to pass along the compressed file i have saved on my computer for this site mod.. it's a completely free download anyway.. it can be done in a few minutes and your ready to rock.. saving server load and speeding up the site.

the 15 character rule is probably in palce for a reason.. some site require a minimum character message.. i'm not completety sure of the beneifits though.. i personally have never been a fan of that... this is completely cost free to change as well.. heres the process

adminCP > vbulletin options > message posting and editing options > Minimum Characters Per Post.. then set the value.. mine for example is set at 3..

a setting like 3 allows a member to answer a simple question with yes or nope.. i guess a settign of 2 would allow the use of NO, Ok, and YA.. but 3 is not big deal.. 15 is too long IMO..

30 sec post limit.. for a person that crusies through alot of threads this can be a pain in the butt.. 15 secs.. maybe but 30 sucks. i think that 30 might be the limit that is preset in the software.. this might be the reason it is in place still.. here showto change it..

adminCP > vbulletin options > message posting and editing options > Minimum Time Between Posts. then set the value.. for example mine is set at 10.. at 10 i don't think i've ever had to wait between posts.. you just can't move that fast.. haha

the 60 sec PM limit.. this is one that alot of forums have that really drives me nuts.. for someone like myself that gets quite a few pms and replies to quite a few pm's this really is a hinderance.. this is a completely cost free adjsutment as well

adminCP > vbulletin options > private messaging options > Floodcheck - Minimum Time Between Messages. then set the value..

mine again is set to 10... hard to type faster than that.. even with a simple yes/no answer.. the forum has a certain amount of delay built in anyway.. (around 2 seconds from my experiance) i think 60 seconds is the default time in teh software.. again probably why it's still in place..

some of these things as you can see you have to dig for.. but they are all there.. and i've now given you the required path to get to them.. i hope this helps.. being that i've been in the mod/admin/site owner postions for going on 6 years now.. i know the maount of work and dedication it takes.. and also the cost of certain things.. but have also come to find ways of making a site run smother, faster, and cleaner.. liek i said before in a previous post.. i'm more than happy to assit any time.. if the admin has a question about an adjustment by all means ask me.. if i have never gotten to that particular one i'll damn sure look for it.. i find new things on this software all the time. it would be nice to have another admins to compare certain settings with... in fact i had thought about putting an invisible section on PSJ just for that.. admins talking with other admins of sites in this realted power sports field.. i think that could be an asset to anyone in that postion.. and could be a melting pot of ideas to better powersports forums as a whole..

I gotta say...there is a lot of knowledge on here. There are only 2 issues that I feel aren't being addressed here, and yes I am a supporting member because I know it costs money to maintain a site as it grows.

1. Usage of cussing. I cuss, to an extent, but we got to remember that this is a "family" oriented site and I for one know if I saw my son post on here with a dirty mouth, i would feel ashamed. I know not all traffic on here can be monitored, but some of it becomes ridiculous. One site i was a member of, and still am, puts characters in place of curse words. That seems more "professional" to me....but that's my opinion.

2. The 15 character limit for posts. Yeh it does get annoying...and I didn't know about the PM rule?

I feel if there could be some kind of moderation in posting, then it would ease up tension and what not. I know not everyone can live on their computers and moderate everything that is happening here, but as 370 has done, and that is dedicate A LOT of time to the forums, then it can be handled. Mods and admins pretty much take an oath to monitor lots of traffic on a site, so be able to keep up with it is all i can say about it.

I am a member of PSJ too, and I must say it is handled professionally there. If they keep the air clear like that, and monitor people who are bashing or being outright...pardon my french...but smartasses, then the site would have some character added to it.

That's just my .02....
thanks for the compliments about PSJ jeremy.. i'm glad you and others like it over there.. BF does have alot of younger members.. PSJ has very few in the 13-15 range and was originally suppoed to be an 18-up forum but that idea was scrapped (lets be honest.. PSJ is anything but familiy oriented..)
i've never been a fan of censorship.. so language useage be it crude sometimes has never been somthing limit very much... that said.. i think it;' great that the admin and mod staff here don't edit out every offensive word possible... i myself have a colorful vocabulary.. haha

I'm here almost everyday deleting spam and TCOB.
As far as sig sizes and sig content if you guys don't like it then send a mod a complaint.
Interesting some of the guys bringin up sig content have big or questionable sig themselves 8-|
As far as being a moderator you gottah also be a frickin judge and jury balancing between whats OK and what people have to change.
As soon as you ask people to change something or tell them they can't do or say something they biotch.
On the other hand let them go and do whatever the hell they want and it's chaos and people leave or new members turn away.

IMO Mr. 305 and 4cfed should be boosted up to mods, and Freek and Paulie B should be admins........the liist of mods on the first page of this thread made by liquidsoul was way to long.....305 and 4cfed have been on this forum for a LONG time and have helped ALOT sense there joining of this forum....but thats just my .02

theres nothing wrong with out mods or admins it's just that we need more...at honda atv forums they have like 15 mods..its ridicoulus<----did i spell that right? but back to the point,4ced,305 liquid,and yb should be mods in my opinion... and even 370 but like i said earlier hes very busy! or even rockstar? but hes also very busy!

this thread really isnt getting anywhere. maybe if a few people bring up the minor issues to a current mod we can set up a poll to fix the problems.

thanks for the compliments about PSJ jeremy.. i'm glad you and others like it over there.. BF does have alot of younger members.. PSJ has very few in the 13-15 range and was originally suppoed to be an 18-up forum but that idea was scrapped (lets be honest.. PSJ is anything but familiy oriented..)
i've never been a fan of censorship.. so language useage be it crude sometimes has never been somthing limit very much... that said.. i think it;' great that the admin and mod staff here don't edit out every offensive word possible... i myself have a colorful vocabulary.. haha

LOL but parents are suppose to monitor what their childre, do i nthe computer8-|;)

anyways lets face it, all of us young people see/hear more in school than the adult, hell i bet some 12 y/o know more bad stuff than me lol Great work with PSJ btw love it there.

IMO Mr. 305 and 4cfed should be boosted up to mods, and Freek and Paulie B should be admins........the liist of mods on the first page of this thread made by liquidsoul was way to long.....305 and 4cfed have been on this forum for a LONG time and have helped ALOT sense there joining of this forum....but thats just my .02

X2 In my opinion yb and liquid shouldnt be mods, nothing agaisnt them but to me they dont have any req. and well nominating yourself is pretty crappy lol but nothing against you guys.

LOL but parents are suppose to monitor what their childre, do i nthe computer8-|;)

anyways lets face it, all of us young people see/hear more in school than the adult, hell i bet some 12 y/o know more bad stuff than me lol Great work with PSJ btw love it there.

X2 In my opinion yb and liquid shouldnt be mods, nothing agaisnt them but to me they dont have any req. and well nominating yourself is pretty crappy lol but nothing against you guys.

8-| ...........................

wtf LOL i meant liquid shouldnt be a mod hahaha i kept on mentioning you, let me correct my self:

In my opinion liquid shouldnt be mod, nothing agaisnt him but to me he dont have any req. and well nominating yourself is pretty crappy lol but nothing against you

but yb you still should be mod,lol j/k

wtf LOL i meant liquid shouldnt be a mod hahaha i kept on mentioning you, let me correct my self:

In my opinion liquid shouldnt be mod, nothing agaisnt him but to me he dont have any req. and well nominating yourself is pretty crappy lol but nothing against you

but yb you still should be mod,lol j/k

thanks for clearing that up man ..... I:I

Guys you might as well let this thread die. If the Admin. wants help they will ask whoever they think would do a good job. Just my .02 cents, get back to talking about Blasters.

I gotta very colorful vocab as well...I was in the Navy and every other word out of my mouth started with "F" and ended in "uck". Ya know...firetruck?

To me you keep the sanity by rules like that, and censoring words like hell and words like that aren't bad. I guess I just carry myself differently now that I look from the outside and see where some roots of the problem comes from. It's like some people not too mature and they get away with the bad mouth, then they will get too comfortable and bash with the rude language. I may be getting too old....hell I dunno!

I surely would monitor what my kids do...til the day I die. But...I'm a parent of 4.

I gotta very colorful vocab as well...I was in the Navy and every other word out of my mouth started with "F" and ended in "uck". Ya know...firetruck?

To me you keep the sanity by rules like that, and censoring words like hell and words like that aren't bad. I guess I just carry myself differently now that I look from the outside and see where some roots of the problem comes from. It's like some people not too mature and they get away with the bad mouth, then they will get too comfortable and bash with the rude language. I may be getting too old....hell I dunno!

ah 34 your just gettin broke in lol

Status
Not open for further replies.