New member in NC.

Found some 04 parts. What should I avoid, thinking used sprockets prob not a good idea, what about discs for brakes?

$90, axel/housing/sprockets/discs...
Also had a swing arm and stock exhaust.
Think that stuffs worth grabbing? Think he wanted another $50+/-
For both

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 212
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
I avoid used chains and sprockets, as do many others here. Always change them all at the same time to avoid any suprises.

That picture of the carrier you just posted isn't a 03-06 one. Its an older 88-02 and will not work with your 06 hydro rear brakes.

Reactions: D-LASH
people often dont know what year they have so be carefull when buying used parts,reasearch it good :)

some members on here might even have what you want for sale did you check the for sale section?

Damn, I was about to pick that crap up tomorrow. Errr... How the hell can I get this axel out of my carrier? Is the axel the same? Funny thing is, the bike I have, the guy had the rear brake off, "I just use the front brakes" I'd personally prefer everything hooked up and working properly.

Take a pic of the carrier and brake that is on it. I'm wondering if the PO switched to a old style carrier and that's why he didn't hook the brake up :eek:

Soak that carrier down with some PB blaster.

odd to remove stock new model brakes as they were pretty good unless they got wrecked.

anyways. ebay is always a friend

switch a banshee axle. Why? its thicker on the throat, so stronger. also will widen the rear end a little bit so you can put studs or a-arms later to match
http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-Bans...Parts_Accessories&hash=item43b73bbe6f&vxp=mtr

new carrier
i cant find a decent priced new style ($50 or less)

$300 for an axle?? lmao
$172 for carrier?

Last edited by a moderator:
Found ebay 04 with swing arm attached, mess'd him to see if he's separate for cheaper than the $180 listed.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/251584050746?nav=SEARCH

*oh, definitely 06, correct headlight, seat, and I now just noticed the difference in the rear housing. I'll get a pic of the rear tom. Time for go 2 bed now
Thanks again everyone. I'll be on the look out for a FS section and donation time!

Last edited by a moderator:
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg Crap, forgot to check the vin#, but here's a shot of the axel/housing. Is there a sleeve inside the housing, or do I have son catastrophic failure on this axel?

From what I can see, you lost your ball bearings. The first pic the inner race of the bearing is on the axle, the outter is still against the carrier. They can be a pain to remove, but you'll get them out. There shouls be a spacer between there too, the axle will be inside it.

Once you get it all out and apart, clean it all up well, and grease everything.

I only heated it to get the nut off initially... I was questioning whether the housing was still "good enough" to pack new bearings in, because the lip of the housing was mushroomed a bit from being abused ("ran w/no bearings in snow"- that was the story). If the bearings are set properly, are there extra precautions to take to avoid moisture/dirt/snow/slush & crap from getting in there behind the bearings, sealed and greased? My initial thought was: "new rear" a close call and save from the help on this forum, and now I'd just like to get it rolling the best I can for the buck! Hopefully I'll have some better pictures and real progress shortly. My neighbor races dirt bikes, so they're way more savy on this stuff. I'm just excited to finally have a bike in the south! I'll get this axel free one way or another!

Welcome to the forum. Those things can be a real bear. Took me a few hours with a 10lb maul to get mine out. Needless to say the axle was shot after that. Mine was really abused when I got it also. There is supposed to be a sleeve in there and lots of the members on here put a grease fitting in and drill holes in the sleeve. If its full of grease, there's not much room for anything else. Blaaster has mentioned though that too much grease will heat and expand out, and then suck back in (with whatever got in it) when it cools. Good luck!

Hmm, prob just take my time and see how it goes. Original plan; rear off, bearings in & riding by Monday. Well, bearings showed up today with the pads, and I'm in no rush to mess this thing up.
BTW, probably the most adorable brake pads I've ever seen , LOL

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    977.5 KB · Views: 189
. Blaaster has mentioned though that too much grease will heat and expand out, and then suck back in (with whatever got in it) when it cools. Good luck!

Good to to see that someone takes notice of some of my posts and comments on them.

The seals in the carrier are a one way seal, they will restrict grease getting out unless it is under extreme pressure, heating it up will force grease past the seals.

The seal will allow every thing past in the reverse direction, crap, water and all!

Progress today. Got the axel out, seems to be in good condition, few teeth marks from a pipe wrench, not too bad. The housing and sleeve are questionable. I'm thinking they'll need to be replaced, but just waned some of you expierienced members to confirm. Last 2 pics show the sleeve with grooves from the balls. Let me know what you guys think.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Thanks for the help.