New hybrid... Blaster with 2003 ktm 125sx engine

Lanceam24

Jul 23, 2012
I acquired the ktm a month ago with the intentions on rebuilding it. The engine ran but it needed a TON of parts. Around $4-500 worth. I just figure it wouldn't b very cost efficient. I thought about what I could use the engine for... A little baja 50 dirt bike? Naa I'd prolly kill myself. A kids 50cc quad? Naa I just didn't like the idea...

A dang yamaha blaster... Not too big and heavy. Now I had a blaster a few months ago that I rebuilt and rode the hell out of it but I traded it for an 05 raptor 660 that had a dirty carb (lol yep)

So I hopped on Craigslist and found a roller for $50. The subframe part is kinda bent up but I mainly want it as a scrap frame to practice with. The day after I found a complete blaster for $200 that needs a top end so I don't want to chop that frame up. I will eventually find a better frame for the 125 engine so this will have to do for now.

I have to grind some of the blaster swing arm off to fit on the engine but it looks like it shouldn't be too hard. I plan on posting pics and documenting the process as I go along so stay tuned. Looking at member "Best" thread when he swapped the 250 ktm engine in the blaster but the pics no longer work. I remember lookin at it a long time ago when I still had my first blaster.

I have taken a welding class but I'm still a novice using a harbor freight flux welder. I want to start doing custom work so I look at this like a fun learning experience that will help me in the near future.(got a couple 400ex and raptor660 frames, along with a cbr954 engine)

Any info and or hints and tips will be greatly appreciated. Stay tuned for pics and stuff

sounds like a fun project !
keep us posted, w/ pics as you go

Beef up the frame, add the gussets, and if you NEED to cut a piece out, try to find a different way I:I :D

This sounds awesome!

Where are you located?

I live in Baton Rouge, LA. I would probably have this done if I didn't have all these other projects. At the moment I have to change the timing chain on my gfs raptor 660 and rebuilding my 400ex with a more aggressive cam and high compression piston along with new crank bearings and gaskets. 4 strokes suck I know haha

I also have a parts 660, 400ex 2 kx250s, crf450, and a yz125... I'm gonna find some hydraulic brakes for this thing eventually. I already planned on reinforcing the frame and I WILL NOT cut the frame. I'll just be cutting old mounts off and things like that. This is what I'm workin with so far...

null_zpsc91e38e0.jpg

null_zpscee2807a.jpg

And here it is just sitting in the frame
null_zpsc12da283.jpg

First order of business, widen the hole on the engine so the blaster axle bolt can fit through. I used a 5/8 bit and it was a hair too big and has a tad bit of play but hopefully my other mounts will be secure enough to not feel any vibration

null_zpsc58834a2.jpg

*update* this just in, no exhaust modification needed!

Fits like a glove with plenty of wiggle room down there. I think I'll start cutting, chopping and welding tomorrow. One of the front motor mounts looks as if it will be useful even though I have to cut one side of it... Or bend it and reinforce it. We'll see. I didn't realize this engine has a hydraulic clutch. Never had a bike without a cable clutch. Is it any better worse???

null_zps83dd5f57.jpg

*another quick update*

I got the frame braces welded up but had trouble with the part the engine was going to bolt to. Since I have the dirt bike to my disposal I cut the mounts off the frame and bolted them to the engine and put the engine in the blaster frame and let the dirt bike mounts sit on my frame braces. I just spot welded those on, removed the engine and welded em on. It feels solid as a rock but I plan on doing the same to the bottom motor mounts underneath the engine. I also plan on welding something onto that top mount on the cylinder head...

null_zps48b2ea23.jpg

null_zps6ebb1104.jpg

null_zps529ddfb3.jpg

Not trying to knock your welding ability, but the beads look like all top fill with no penetration.

Beware the mounts could tear off under vibration or hard work.

When you join metal of different thickness, especially a lap joint, the weld must be of exceptional quality

Thanks for the input, doing the best I can with a harbor freight flux welder. The welds feel pretty solid IMO so I guess we'll see how they work.

Try turning up the heat (amps) a little bit.

I just started welding in class and thats what we have to do when it looks like that.

Maybe try on a scrap piece, or the bike frame where it wont hurt

Yea there's a max/min setting and I have it on max. I did go over my welds with more wire though after I was done just because so that might be why it looks like that. I did the old hammer test and they didn't break lol. We'll have to wait and see about vibrations though

I trust that you are going to weld the underside and the ends as well otherwise the mounts are going to tear their way out of the frame.

Just a dob of weld on the top is not going to hold.

Well that's about as good as it's gonna get for now. If I have to backtrack once I'm done so be it. I just want everything mapped out for now. Looks like a bunch of people who do bike engine swaps welds break on em. If it works fine if they don't that's fine too. It's a learning experience

Your only the 2nd person from louisiana ive seen on here
if you hit the trails in kasatchie any time soon you should let me know, id like to see this thing myself when its finished!

i have a feeling it might be partly that harbor freight welder..... not to diss them but do they really do the job well?? the cheap ones i have used i can never get them to penetrate well enough

The fluxcore is not the best for welding on Blaster frames. MIG with gas is better, HD brazing even better. I have a KTM 250 in my Blaster. Definite overkill. I ride a KTM 125 on the street. You will have enough power!

Steve
229206_10150236712600803_5649659_n.jpg