new guy needs advice

cuzzinpaulie

Aug 25, 2010
maine
hey guys i just bought a 04 blaster and it has had some upgrades. i didnt get much info from the previous owner, but looks like its got a fmf pipe silencer, k&n filter, oil bypass, jets "size?", reeds "brand ?", wiseco piston .80 over i think. the po didnt have it long and didnt know much about bikes. it wouldnt idle so i tried to adjust it but realized the tors was broken. ripped that out and then realized the tors removal kit was in the box "very cool" with the extra parts and paper work. what or where should i look for other upgrades? what changes should i make a note of for future maintenance.

first, you should take the carb apart and see what size jets you have and the needle.
also see what reeds you have.
i think you mean your piston is .080" overbore which is getting big.
you next upgrade should be either a new jug or a big bore kit.

do the jets say the size on them? the bike has stickers on it that say "vforce reed valve system" and 'boyesen power reeds"

in the box of parts hey gave me there is a little fmf jet kit its got some used jets,needle and reeds. and its got some new jets in there as well. guess ill have to rippid the carb out to find out for sure. the bike runs great and has a ton of power I:I

Yeah , if you go by stickers ....... I'm riding a total one of a kind . Yes the jets will have the number on them , if you take the carb apart I suggest you lay out a towel and be carefull to not lose any parts . The stock carb between the main jet and where it threads into is a small flat washer DO NOT LOSE IT !!!! otherwise that bastard won't ever run right no matter what . and To install the TORS eliminator idle screw , wrap the carb body in a towel and put it in a bench vice to file down the idle screw boss on the choke side of the carb , its gotta be filed flat , then drilled and tapped . and when you tap it out MAKE SURE YOU USE TAPPING OIL , NOT JUST WD-40 . otherwise you run the risk of breaking the tap , then you are hosed . and don't put the tap in a drill , hand tap it . Good Luck Bro . and yes , as far as jetting goes with your setup 270-290 main is about right

I forgot to add , if you have a drill press , its best to use that to drill out the idle screw boss with that . if you use a hand drill you run the risk of drilling it at an angle , and then you are hosed again

you can pull the plug and look at it , if the insulator is a tan color , then jetting is right , just don't want to run lean , you'll grenade the engine