New guy from MI

Rob99

Jun 1, 2010
Hi all. My name is Rob i'm from SE Michigan, regularly ride on state and private trails in northern MI. New to the site, but not to Blasters. Have had my 99 Blaster since i was 11 or 12 years old, i'm now 19. Been riding since i was 7 starting with a 4 speed Honda 90. Absolutely love the Blaster, has been one of the most reliable quads i've known. I ride the thing HARD and have never had to do more than basic maintenance over the 7 or 8 years i've owned it. Will start by the second kick in the dead of winter without issue. The thing has been all but bullet proof, might just have to put a bullet through it just to see if can actually break!

Anyway, as much as i love my Blaster, it's starting to fall behind those i ride with in the speed department. The friends i ride with now have quads much larger than mine, yfz 450, Banshee, Raptor, etc. In the trails it's fine, but on open road/trails they RUN away from me. Really don't want to ditch the Blaster, i love the light weight and short wheel base as well as the 2 stroke engine, but it needs to go faster. Now i know it isn't practical to think i'm going to make my Blaster pull away from even a stock yfz 450, but i'd like to at least be able to keep pace. Right now mine is stock ( i know, owned it for 8 years and it's stock?!?!?), but now at 19 and having a decent job (and going to school for Mech. Engineering) i can finally afford to start building up the blaster. So what is the best route for me to pick up a good amount of speed with this thing? I've done a little browsing around the 240 big bore kits seem to be popular, is that the best route? And what else should i add to that? Are they hard to install? I've never tore down the engine before but the 200 2 stroke is small and ridiculously uncomplicated and having helped my dad with car engine rebuilds and having a pretty good knowledge of engines in general, it can't be all that difficult right? I'll do some research on my own but any ideas, tips, etc would be much appreciated.

Cliffs: New guy, had the Blaster for 8 years, want to make it faster, tips?

Edit to add pic: Not the best photo, but about the only one on my computer at the moment. My Blaster with friends quads, from left to right, Raptor 700, Blaster, 01 Banshee, 08 yfz 450.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
Great place for tips, and MI has some greta trails to ride ! There are a bunch of us from MI so feel free to post up some trip info and maybe we can get a group ride sometime.

Welcome to Blasterforum

Great place for tips, and MI has some greta trails to ride ! There are a bunch of us from MI so feel free to post up some trip info and maybe we can get a group ride sometime.

Welcome to Blasterforum

MI definitely does and will do. Actually just went riding this past weekend at the ORV trails in Gladwin with the above pictured quads plus a few others. Had a blast (no pun intended lol). Seeing you're from Mid Michigan i'd imagine that's very close for you.

We live about 20 mins from the Gladwin trails (REEDracing94). Look us up we are always looking for someone to ride with.

welcome. best way to get alot of power out of a blaster is a ported 240 kit

That's what i figured. Could you point me in the direction of where i can buy the 240 kit, and quality performance parts in general? I'd imagine there is more than one 240 kit, are some better than others?

We live about 20 mins from the Gladwin trails (REEDracing94). Look us up we are always looking for someone to ride with.

Will do, parents have a place in Harrison and my friend with the yfz 450 has a place in Standish ( which is where the above pic was taken) so we regularly stay up there and make a trip over to the Gladwin trails. Considering the Leota trails are only a few miles down 61 from our property in Harrison, i've actually never been to those trails. How are they? I've been told the Gladwin ones are much better, no idea if there is truth behind that or not.

The trails at 61 have their moments. They tend to get run down, but if you get there after they have been groomed they are pretty decent. We like them cause we are close, and we can make quick runs there to test/tune, and just get some seat time.

I'm thinking my first mod will be a 14t sprocket to give the Blaster some more top end since it's a really cheap mod, and that is where the Blaster falls on its face. How much top end will this give me, i figure stock with me at 150lbs i'm probably topping out at 57-60 mph, what can i expect with a 14t sprocket?

Is this one fine? BLASTER FRONT SPROCKETS ::...

Do i need a different chain? Anything else necessary? Ideas for other starter mods?

Last edited:
I'm thinking my first mod will be a 14t sprocket to give the Blaster some more top end since it's a really cheap mod, and that is where the Blaster falls on its face. How much top end will this give me, i figure stock with me at 150lbs i'm probably topping out at 57-60 mph, what can i expect with a 14t sprocket?

Is this one fine? BLASTERFRONTSPROCKETS::...

Do i need a different chain? Anything else necessary? Ideas for other starter mods?

Hey, from MI too. That sprocket should be fine, & you should'nt need a new chain unless your old one is shot. Top speed gain depends on your tire size/engine mods. A pipe & reeds will get ya the most bang for your buck to start with. Welcome to the site!

Hey, from MI too. That sprocket should be fine, & you should'nt need a new chain unless your old one is shot. Top speed gain depends on your tire size/engine mods. A pipe & reeds will get ya the most bang for your buck to start with. Welcome to the site!

Yeah i plan on doing pipe, reeds, and something for the intake for starters. Any recommendations for an intake? Just as with pipes i'm sure some are better than others. Seems like just about anything is better than the ultra restrictive stock intake.

Assuming intake, pipe, and reeds, what can i expect out of the top end with a 14t front sprocket? Also plan on getting a nice set of holeshot or similar design tires. What size should i go with? Seems like for the back i would want shorter yet wider right? Wider for sure anyway.

Yeah i plan on doing pipe, reeds, and something for the intake for starters. Any recommendations for an intake? Just as with pipes i'm sure some are better than others. Seems like just about anything is better than the ultra restrictive stock intake.

Assuming intake, pipe, and reeds, what can i expect out of the top end with a 14t front sprocket? Also plan on getting a nice set of holeshot or similar design tires. What size should i go with? Seems like for the back i would want shorter yet wider right? Wider for sure anyway.

It's not really the intake boot, it's the stock airbox thats restrictive. Most guys just get a UNI filter (or similar aftermarket) & run with the lid off. Taller tires = more speed, shorter = more power, & wider = more traction/flotation. You have to experiment to find out what works for you.

Last edited:
It's not really the intake boot, it's the stock airbox thats restrictive. Most guys just get a UNI filter (or similar aftermarket) & run with the lid off. Taller tires = more speed, shorter = more power, & wider = more traction/flotation. You have to experiment to find out what woks for you.

Yeah the airbox is what i was referring to. Thanks for the info!

Best tires are maxxis razrs. Majority of the local harescramble guys run 21in razr 2 fronts and 20in razr rears. My step bro seems to like it on his blasy