New guy clutch question.

Baconator

May 3, 2015
New Hampshire
i have been riding my $500 blaster all summer and it has been great , but it is in need of a new clutch. I have been reading over the clutch threads and have a few questions.
I have the clutch cover off and have removed the plates, rod , and springs also I have done clutches before.
That being said if the ball bearing didn't come out with the rod do I need to get it out ?
Or can I just grease the end of the rod and reassemble with new plates?
Is there anything else you would recommend replacing while I'm in there?
The clutch is just worn out , no catastrophic failures.

Thanks in advance Dan
20150511_184833.jpg

If the clutch ball didn't come out, I'd assume its still in there. I usually shine the rod up and make sure its lubed well.

Inspect the basket well. The plates will wear grooves in the fingers, and sometimes hitting them with a file will smooth them out.

Buy a good clutch as well. I like the driveline preformance ones, and the Tusk HD's have served me well.

There are 2 components that are called clutch push rods by Yamaha. In the pic below, 20, 19, 17, and 18 are all screwed together on the clutch pressure plate and come out as an assembly. #21 is the ball and #22 is the clutch push rod that you should be concerned about. lean the bike to the right and 21 and 22 should fall out. Inspect the ends of 22. At this point, it would be good to lift the clutch actuator out of the top of the case and inspect it where it contacts the push rod.

ya6263_15.gif