New from N Ca.

ccolt1

May 30, 2010
N. Ca
Hi to all! I just picked up a 2001 blaster for the my daughter. It has a K&N filter with 2 big holes in the airbox lid a FMF gold pipe and silencer combo. I'm not sure what size jets the carb have but assume they have to be larger wiht the mods already done on the machine. It seems like a fst machine but not sure how fast compared to a stock one. I was also told that you only need to use the clutch for starting and not for the rest of the time is this true?? I had 2stroke when I was younger but have always used the clutch through all the gears. Will not using the clutch be easier on the machine or harder? She really like the bike and would like to get interested in taking it to the track someday. Thanks for any advice and this seems like a great forum! I have had polaris 4x4 quads but not race type 2 strokes.:)

Welcome to the forum! You and you're daughter should have fun on your Blaster.
It is true you only need to use the clutch for starting and stopping. It's called power shifting. I would tell your daughter she needs to use the clutch all the time for the fist while so she get's experienced with the clutch, and after a while tell her she can power shift. That's how I learned anyways

Thanks fo the reply! I will take your advice and tell her to do that. I think we will have alot of fun!!I:I

Hi to all! I just picked up a 2001 blaster for the my daughter. It has a K&N filter with 2 big holes in the airbox lid a FMF gold pipe and silencer combo. I'm not sure what size jets the carb have but assume they have to be larger wiht the mods already done on the machine. It seems like a fst machine but not sure how fast compared to a stock one. I was also told that you only need to use the clutch for starting and not for the rest of the time is this true?? I had 2stroke when I was younger but have always used the clutch through all the gears. Will not using the clutch be easier on the machine or harder? She really like the bike and would like to get interested in taking it to the track someday. Thanks for any advice and this seems like a great forum! I have had polaris 4x4 quads but not race type 2 strokes.:)

Welcome, When it comes to Blasters, especially one you just bought, NEVER assume anything! My neighbor down the street had a Blaster for sale & he sounded like he knew what he was doing. He said he had deleted the oil injection a long time ago & was mixing his gas. When I looked at it all he had done was pull the hose off the carb & not plug it, the whole top of the carb was zip tied on crooked, (TORS & all) & told me it was running a little rich!?!? :eek: (Needless to say I did'nt buy it!) Checking your jetting is easy;if you don't know how, search the posts in the DIY section or read some sticky's & it will explain how. Don't be afraid to ask questions either! Oh & like kylepotatoes said, you can speedshift but I wouldn't advise it for a beginner. The whole idea here is to keep you & your Blaster happy! :D And once again Welcome aboard!

What's up everyone, I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say hey. Hopefully I posted this in the right section!