new airbox

fox396

Feb 3, 2011
pa
i got bored so i decided to fab up a custom airbox to keep sh*t out of my pod filter. its a work in progress i just started i have it all drawn out and might be cutting it out tonight or tomorrow. instead of going to the local home depot and getting sheet metal for the job i decided to make mine out of a road signB) exhaust pipeB) and a radiator hoseB) i think i might fab in a tool box in front of the airbox since i have to cut mine out.

im taking pics as i go and i will post them all at once whenever i finish it so i dont build too much suspense haha

go for it dude. being able to get rid of that restrictive stock one is worth it. and plus since its homemade you can make it the way you want and you know what your getting

be sure to heat that roadsign as you bend it, that sh*ts really hard, and has cracked on me brefore without heat

I'm fabbing one up as soon as I order in my tubing for the box. I've seen a few things I could use, but I think I am just going to use some thin aluminium sheets and go from there figuring out where I want to mount everything and sh*t. I just need to get the measurements down and go from there. I think I am going to run a 2.25 or 2.5in tube straight back to the side of the stock air box and cut a hole in the side of it and fab up an aluminium extension of the stock box for the Uni pod to fit in, but still draw in air from my stock Outerwears lid.

I don't really have a large problem with the "stock" airbox design as long as you have the lid off. The seat funnels air into the box to give it a steady flow of air. I just don't like the slight bends and distance from the carb.

i think im going to run steel pipe out of the box about 3-4 inches and then run radiator hose the rest of the way because im not really worried about looks and the stock boot is rubber anyway

i think im going to run steel pipe out of the box about 3-4 inches and then run radiator hose the rest of the way because im not really worried about looks and the stock boot is rubber anyway

Yea.....it's not like it's an exterior part anyways. I'm not huge on looks at this point either. Not a bad idea either as the hose can flex to the carb and eliminates any sharp angles.

ok since you all want pics here aresome progress ones. beleive me its not pretty but im not going for looks.

heres the canvas
241uxwk.jpg

the simple plans
jshjro.jpg

got bent
6rmtg8.jpg

got it positioned. its not mounted in there yet nor do i have the filter apparatus inside. its just a box so far.
178hlw.jpg

use a torch to heat the backside, and that reflective yellow coating will peel off, then clean the residue with thinner, that is actually the shinier of the 2 sides, < under the yellow

good to know. i will either do that or i will just grind it down and paint it black. i will use ur technique for my future frame guards

Reactions: darederek
if you try to grind that stuff, the unreal glue they use will clog the disk before it comes off, heat is the best way, i tried them all

i tried to make my own airbox out of plastic and 3/4 inch pvc tubing and my quad wouldnt stop running like crap. i changed my jetting, cleaned my filter, changed my plug... did everything and it still ran bad. i took my airbox off and ran straight filter on carb, and my blasters never ran better. pointless post, but i thought id share

im running an uni pod filter. and i have thought of leaving the yellow on it but it ground off really easily i havent decided what to do yet