Need to make her quieter - Help

NYChaze

Apr 11, 2012
Hi all,

First time on here... I have a 2006 Blaster, it has a FMF Fatty exhaust header pipe and Turbine Core silencer. The thing is really loud which don't get me wrong i absolutely love it but... i recently moved to colorado and they are pretty strict on noise...

can i just buy a stock silencer and slap it on or do i have to go back to a stock head pipe also?

Is there anything i can do to the turbine core to make it quieter? Stuff a brillo pad/muffler packing down in there?

I hate to get rid of the damn thing but not sure i have a choice

Also - since i moved to a high elevation from about 1,500' to anywhere from 6,000' to 8,000' i know i have to go down in a jet size or two... especially since the thing has been jetted at low elevation (not sure whats in there, the previous owner had installed everything). Any tips? just buy a few and go out and try them through trial and error?

Anyone else out there running at high elevation?

Thanks!

As mentioned above, I'd try repacking the silencer to see if that quiets it down some. For the jetting your best bet would be to see what is in the carburetor before you buy anything, and see how it runs with what is currently in it by doing a plug chop. That'll tell you if its rich and need to rejet.

Awesome thanks for the quick replies! I will have to read up on the jetting...The equation seems simple enough once i figure out whats in side there.

I will have to call around to some local shops and see if i can get some re-packing material.

get a sticker for it that says "If its Too Loud, You're Too Old!" jk i recently re-packed my silencer (same FMF Set-up) and it made a noticeable difference. id have to say its about the same volume as stock just sounds more 'tuned' if that makes sense.

The commercial packing seems to be quiter than the steel wool packing.

I have never been into the logistics of fitting a stock silencer on a Fatty, maybe somebody has tried and can comment.

honestly, no matter what silencer you use it aint gonna quiet down much. they all are about the same. should probly put on a stock header if you are really worried about it. thats where all the loud pinging comes from.

Thanks guys. I will first try the re-packing route since i dont have the stock silencer or header.

I have a Turbine Core 2 silencer and it really sounds like there is something in there that spins around and makes it sound like a turbo (turbine core.....) maybe i can remove that piece so it doesnt sound like its winding up...

I will let you know how i make out with the re-packing.

Hi all,

First time on here... I have a 2006 Blaster, it has a FMF Fatty exhaust header pipe and Turbine Core silencer. The thing is really loud which don't get me wrong i absolutely love it but... i recently moved to colorado and they are pretty strict on noise...

can i just buy a stock silencer and slap it on or do i have to go back to a stock head pipe also?

Is there anything i can do to the turbine core to make it quieter? Stuff a brillo pad/muffler packing down in there?

I hate to get rid of the damn thing but not sure i have a choice

Also - since i moved to a high elevation from about 1,500' to anywhere from 6,000' to 8,000' i know i have to go down in a jet size or two... especially since the thing has been jetted at low elevation (not sure whats in there, the previous owner had installed everything). Any tips? just buy a few and go out and try them through trial and error?

Anyone else out there running at high elevation?

Thanks!

ill trade u my stock or my dg

Maybe you can try wrapping your pipe with that automotive header wrap. That may help lower the noise from the pipe itself.

:D I thought of that last night too, but didn't want to sound stupid :eek:

If you think it's to loud after re-packing, try the wrap. Basicly that's what the stock pipe is, double layers in the cone sections. I:I

:D I thought of that last night too, but didn't want to sound stupid :eek:

If you think it's to loud after re-packing, try the wrap. Basicly that's what the stock pipe is, double layers in the cone sections. I:I

I don't mind sounding stupid . I'll say anything to get an extra post. Lol.I:I

Thanks guys. I will first try the re-packing route since i dont have the stock silencer or header.

I have a Turbine Core 2 silencer and it really sounds like there is something in there that spins around and makes it sound like a turbo (turbine core.....) maybe i can remove that piece so it doesnt sound like its winding up...

I will let you know how i make out with the re-packing.
if it doesn't work out for you let me know I have a pro circuit thats very quiet if yours is in as nice as shape as mine I would trade you possibly.

You could get the fmf Q it fits the fatty pipe and also still has the spark arrestor. just an idea. maybe give fmf a call and see what they say about Db levels on various silencers.

"Our highly acclaimed "Q" series silencers shook the motorcycling world on its debut in 2002. With its longer oval canister, the trademarked Q uses internal technology that retains optimum flow characteristics while enhancing sound absorbtion qualities. The U.S. Forest legal spark arrestor will meet the mandated 96dB sound level set by the US Forest Service making it the quietest 2-stroke performance spark arrestor made! Serious sound deadening qualities and excellent power."

Awesome thanks for the quick replies! I will have to read up on the jetting...The equation seems simple enough once i figure out whats in side there.

I will have to call around to some local shops and see if i can get some re-packing material.

Go to FMF website, they have a nice repacking video and I think to order the packing, it is like $8+Shipping. Of course, they don't recommend using another packing material, their's is "engineered" specifically for their silencers....even though the same packing is used in ALL of their silencers.

Bahhh , just ride further away .......
All advice you have been given is " sound " advice bahahahahaahahah .
But Seriously , The Q from FMF is awesome , super quiet .