NEED SOME HELP!

Lee

Feb 18, 2015
Hello all,

I am from GA, about 30 mins from Macon and have been looking to get my old blaster up and working again for some younger cousins of mine. It sat for a while but last weekend I went in and took it apart and cleaned out a lot of things. I put a new spark plug in, cleaned out the fuel tank, cleaned the carb but still have issues on getting it started. It kick started up and ran for about 5 seconds then cut off. I just replaced the fuel pump on our golf cart, could that be the issue? The coil in the carb wouldnt come out either. Please let me know what you think. Hoping to get this fixed soon for my cousins so they can enjoy it. It is an 04 blaster and was taken great care of until everyone was too big to ride it anymore which was only about 2 yrs ago. I work on car engines and atv engines a good amount and just cant figure out what is going on.

Thanks,

Lee

could you see through the pilot jet?
did the grounds rust up?
what is the compression?
freash gas bought like today?
animals could have built something in exhaust or intake :)

I have to check the compression when I get around to it. I cleaned out the gas tank and hoses. The compression may be the issue. It has not been run in a while and i am having to go through all the parts and clean it out. Everything I have cleaned out works great so except for the throttle. That is sticking a lot and I need to fix that as soon as I am back near it to work on it. Thank you again for the reply

if you check compression normal is 120
anything around 100 needs rebuilt.
although if you drop a capfull of oil in spark plug hole and it goes up then you know lol:)
if it was mine id be check the 4 things spark/fuel/compression/spark at the right time.

I Everything I have cleaned out works great so except for the throttle. That is sticking a lot and I need to fix that as soon as I am back near it to work on it. Thank you again for the reply

The throttle cable could be all rusty and jammed up from sitting. Sometimes you can get lucky and clean them out with some wd-40, but a new one is cheap enough. Might not be the problem, but an easy place to start investigating the problem.

Welcome to the forum!

Start with the basics as listed. Write down or remember what you have done ,If still no luck then report back with details.

Welcome.

You cleaned the tank, what about petcock? Fuel tank cap vent? XX-2 on grounds and throttle cable. Check that the carb is getting good flow, set float level?