Need help with project (not running)

napier_1

Nov 28, 2012
Hey guys, need some help from you all. I bought a non running Blaster to tinker with and have been trying to figure out why it isnt running. I started by cleaning the carb extensively but that didnt change anything. I then started looking at some electrical things to try and rule out any obvious problems. Previous owner said the tors system and ignition has been bypassed, and I want to make sure it was done right.

So, what needs to be done to bypass the ignition? I have read that you just had to cut the wires but wasnt sure if that was right.

From what I understand from reading on this site, the TORS wires just need to be spliced together on the ECU side from the switch and carb and thats it. Correct?

Also, the clutch doesnt engage when I pull the lever in, is there any type of sensor on it that could prevent this thing from starting? Will it start in neutral without the clutch engaged?

If its none of this stuff I am going to test the compression. It kicks EXTREMELY easy so I think it may need a new top end anyways. Any help with this would be appreciated, I have done some reading on here but thought it would be best to just ask. I am going to go take some pics of the wiring so I can post them if needed.

For the 88-06 all you have to do is unplug the box under the hood I for get which one it is right now and for the newer ones 03-06 http://www.blasterforum.com/do-yourself-20/03-06-tors-removal-diy-41973/ as for the clutch problem it will still start no matter whats wrong with the clutch as long as its not in gear. I would do compression test first because you might be trying like hell to start it and it not even have enough compression to start.

For the 88-06 all you have to do is unplug the box under the hood I for get which one it is right now and for the newer ones 03-06 http://www.blasterforum.com/do-yourself-20/03-06-tors-removal-diy-41973/ as for the clutch problem it will still start no matter whats wrong with the clutch as long as its not in gear. I would do compression test first because you might be trying like hell to start it and it not even have enough compression to start.

I am figuring it is the top end as well, just wanted to make sure it was nothing obvious first. Thanks for the answer on the clutch question.

Take exhaust off and you can see the piston through there to see if there is anything obvious wrong with the piston.

To bypass the ignition simply unplug the connector or cut the wires. For 03-06 TORS removal follow the link tooslow posted. If its < 03 just unplug the TORS connector. Since the wiring is not stock, thats the first place I would look. Make sure everything is correct and the bypassing and TORS has been done correctly.

After that it sounds like you need to check the compression since you think it feels very light. And check the simple things like gas turned on. After I rebuilt my motor I was ready to fire it up for the first time and do heat cycles. I got everything ready but the one thing I forgot was the fuel switch! I was freaking out for about a minute before I realized what I had forgotten. If you have compression you only need spark, air and fuel, so those are next. Check for spark, see if there is fuel getting into the carb.

Another good thing to do is a leak test!

14mqc1y.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: