Need Help Going Crazy. My Botom end Is

dnoftz

Aug 9, 2011
Fremont OH
Ok here is the situation. I put all new bearing in my case's. Was putting it back to gather but there was a gap no mater what I did. So after placing piece by piece in I finally found the problem. The bearing where the small sprocket goes is slightly off. Here is what I need to know. How can I reseat this bearing with out having to remove the crank again and baking it. And can it be done with out destroying the seals?

Some one please have a good answer for me.

That sucks, but the only way i know that you can get the bearing to set right is to pull it back apart and you will probably tear up the seal in the process of removing it. Maybe someone else has had this problem and got the bearing to set without pulling apart and can chime in with a idea. good luck

The output shaft bearing? The one that the sprocket bolts onto?

You need to pull the case back apart and remove the output shaft seal (usually a very gentle pry with a flat blade will pop it straight out).

Then use a torch on the case area around that bearing until the case starts to smoke (it's not ready for sweating until the oil trapped in the aluminum starts to smoke).

Lay the case down on the left side with a 2x4 under the output shaft seal area to support the case and gently tap that bearing back in using a small piece of wood or deadblow/rubber mallet.

Reinstall the seal by pushing it back into the case gently and assemble your bottom end.

Output bearing "creep" is a problem for most who are working intently to get the crankshaft bearing in after baking the entire case half. The preferred method to install crankshaft bearings is using a torch to concentrate the heat around the area of the case you actually want to heat (versus the entire thing in an oven).