Need help asap 4th thru 6th gear is like neutral

Blaster crazy

Dec 17, 2015
Hey guys just rebuilt the motor and the gears 4 - 6 are not working it's like they are neutral. But now sometimes 4th works has me completely stumped I've built many quad engines never had this problem. Was new weisco crank and piston everything torqued to oem specs

using OEM trans drain bolt ?
had a former member report a new shiny magnetic drain plug was too long and prevented any gears above 3rd.

hmmmm, I'm not that up on what happens inside the trans as gears/cogs/forks do they're thing.
but I'd start with checking clutch assembly, and shift actuator fork thingy to shift star actions.
before tearing back into the cases/trans assembly.

how sure are you of your trans/gears assembly when you did the crank ?
did it shift thru all gears on the bench ?

The drain bolt was a little long, I had 1,2 and 3. Trying to go from 3 to 4_ the shifter wouldn't even budge.

I changed the drain plug back to OEM, and I got all the gears back. It was a strange experience

We lost 6th gear once in my dad's blaster. Found out that it had shaved smooth. That would be odd for multiple gears to go at once like that but maybe a posibility if the shavings had messed up the other gears. Maybe one of the shifter forks was rattled loose or something. Have you drained the oil to see if there are shavings in it?

Is this with engine running trying to ride? Or are you trying to shift like bench test? If bench test, input or output shaft has to be spinning. If that is covered, pull clutch cover and inspect external shift mechanism. Shaft, pawl, star, and springs. If nothing found there I guess you'll have to split the cases.
Thing is, I can't see how anything inside could be assembled wrong.
Use online manual, or Clymers Repair Manual, and Ken's videos if you have to split cases.

Hhmmmm. If you don't want to drain oil, turn gas off and lay it over on left side and pull clutch cover. Maybe screw that holds shift star has come loose. Plus you can inspect the rest of mechanism.
Before you pull cover check for excessive side to side play on shift shaft.