Need another opinion on smoking issue..

Lon

Aug 3, 2015
So I picked this Blaster up Sunday for my wife..Was a frame off rebuild other than lower end,case was never opened..
The guy told me he has maybe a hour on the new top end but after a hour of run time,it started smoking BAD..
When I got it home I looked everything over and oil level was right at the bottom of the oil sight hole,so I topped it off and fired it up..When I first started it,it smoked pretty bad...After about 3mins of running,it was smoking so bad I thought a fire truck would show up lol..Shut it down and haven't and don't plan on starting it again until I fix it..I did go over everything and noticed the oil level was again down to the bottom of the oil sight hole,so its sucking oil from the crank case and burning it..Did a google search and everything I read says its a common issue with the crank seals so before ordering new crank seals,bearings and gaskets,I rather have a 2nd opinion before tossing money in it but all signs point to crank seals...Smoking white bad,oil level drops and fogs the whole area im in with in 3mins...Heres a short video I took yesterday and you can see how bad its smoking..I started recording as soon as I started it so you can see how bad its smoking and didn't even run 2mins ..

Yes, trans side crank seal but you should do both.. Also look into a leak down tester to the rest of the motor is leak free.

Reactions: Lon
Yes, trans side crank seal but you should do both.. Also look into a leak down tester to the rest of the motor is leak free.
Had another guy helping me on another thread and ordered everything I need..About to take it apart and mark/bag parts then wait for new parts to show up..

gearbox vent whatever you want to call it:)
LON B 1.jpg

Last edited:
yeah it is not helping anything
but between the rtv/blocked off vent im sure there is damage.
the oil sight glass will be full when not running,when it is running it should be
between the markings on the case/sight glass.
it holds 650ml of oil no more no less.

did you ever drain gas,tranny oil.new plug and start fresh?
just asking to help the situation not saying your seal is okay cuz it looks toast lol:D

edit: nevermind i saw your other thread lol:)

Last edited:
yeah it is not helping anything
but between the rtv/blocked off vent im sure there is damage.
the oil sight glass will be full when not running,when it is running it should be
between the markings on the case/sight glass.
it holds 650ml of oil no more no less.

did you ever drain gas,tranny oil.new plug and start fresh?
just asking to help the situation not saying your seal is okay cuz it looks toast lol:D

edit: nevermind i saw your other thread lol:)
Yeah,its holding all the pressure in and after what I found yesterday,im sure its blowing right through the seal or seals because I haven't opened the other side yet..I already taken it apart before checking this thread yesterday when you saw the vent blocked off which I don't think mattered anyways because the person that built it didn't even put the seal in correct..Some people shouldn't ever touch a engine because you will see why after watching this video..Now I wait for parts to show up..