Need a new silencer!!

BlastersRfaster

Jun 30, 2011
Cedaredge, CO
well i guess im just a lucky kind of guy.NOT. i need to buy a new exhaust system for my truck next month. well i decided since my silencer needs to be repacked to pull it and see how bad it is event though i dont have any repacking right now. well turns up this is what i found.
29fupsl.jpg

15naoop.jpg

oa94kg.jpg

as you can see the guy before me is a dumbass and decided to break out the welder and he coulnt do it very good. im guessing he found holes in his core and decided "oh i can just cut it down to where there isnt anymore holes and weld it in. he did a terrible job and now im guessing i have to buy a new silencer because i cant repack it due to the fact that the core isnt near as long as the darn pipe itself. any help would be awesome. i guess i need to buy 2 exhausts now. anyway thats what i found and im a lil upset that the guy did what he did. i aint too happy bout it but i'll get over it. so even thought theres thousands of threads with this question im still gonna ask it.
What silencer should i get? i ride trails and thats about it. ive got an fmf fatty gold header but now i need a new silencer so yea thats where im sittin right now.
these are my lil helpers haha.
2rqc3gw.jpg

If It's the Ford In your Avatar Picture. What model Is It and the year?

- Forget Cope Wintergreen, Get Grizzly Wintergreen ha.

hahaha no i like my copenhagen. no its not the ford in my avatar but its just like it. its an 82 f150 with a 300 inline 6...soon to be a 351windsor though hopefully

silencers dont give any noticable power gain. I would try and get the fmf powercore silencer cuz it will bolt right up and fit perfect. All others will need a bit of modding to fit, but will work fine. if you want something that sounds better, then go with a toomey or pro circuit silencer.

yea i know theres no power gain. thats not what im lookin for haha. i just want a repackable silencer that doesnt have a core thats half the size of the silencer casing because somebody decided they should chop it down. im thinkin the fmf just to have a full fmf system. i would get a pro circuit but i dont need anything fancy or any headaches to come with it.

i would get the fmf because it was madee for the pipe even though i think you should switch over to toomey or dmc alien lol!

there are some members here that have made their silencers shorty. They say it changes the powerband a little bit, either a little lower or a little higher. not sure though.

i'd try wrapping packing around whats left of the inner tube, or try the shorty route

i figure i might as well give the shorty a shot because i have no other options other than buyin a new one. i would just leave it empty but i planned on repacking it because its already louder than i would like and a hollow silencer probably wouldnt help.:D

You could weld a new piece to extend it and pack the whole thing, that would be easy! Or just get some stainless pipe of the correct diameter and length, weld it to the screen thing, then drill holes in it and pack the whole thing, it's not the end of the world. If you were really hard on cash you could probably take some screen material, wrap it around the tube part to extend it to the correct length, then wrap packing around that and run it. The idea being the screen would keep it open...or use some cheap expanded metal, heck, even one of those cheap aluminum register covers at home depot!! Be resourceful!

On your truck exhaust, check out rockauto.com, they have CHEAP exhaust systems, dynomax is a great brand, not as well built as flowmaster but they're not as loud. I have dynomax on both of my jeeps and they've taken a beating and they keep it at a nice low sound level so at least the exhaust tone isn't attracting attention!! The rest of the jeep is another story.....