need a little bogging help

nightmare420

Jun 19, 2008
Newfane/Burt, New York
facebook.com
ok i bought a 97 yamaha rt100 dirtbike to mess around with till my blaster is going again. thing ran great for the last few weeks. the day i got it, even tho it ran fine i took apart the carb and cleaned it all up just to be sure and it went great for a few weeks now out of no where it boggs at full throttle. like its having trouble reaching the higher RPMs. no mods at all on the bike. all stock. i took the airbox lid off, and it seems to ride fine.. i just cant remember what that means. lol i remember reading it on the forum i just cant find it. any help guys? I:I

Some how it sounds like you are running too rich

When the airbox is closed you are getting less air than when its open so when it is open you are getting enough air too burn that amount of fuel, but when it close there is not enough air to burn all the exhaust.

With it being the top end that means that the jet is too rich, the needle is the mid and the air screw is the low just incase you were wondering. Now what gets me is how it all of a sudden started running rich. So check your manual too see your stock jet size and then check yours. To do that take the bowl off the carb and there is a little hexagonal screw thing, thats your jet. take it out and it should say the side, if it is the stock jet, just go down a size and do a plug chop. There is a thread on that if you don't know how. Hope this helps and good luck

Some how it sounds like you are running too rich

When the airbox is closed you are getting less air than when its open so when it is open you are getting enough air too burn that amount of fuel, but when it close there is not enough air to burn all the exhaust.

With it being the top end that means that the jet is too rich, the needle is the mid and the air screw is the low just incase you were wondering. Now what gets me is how it all of a sudden started running rich. So check your manual too see your stock jet size and then check yours. To do that take the bowl off the carb and there is a little hexagonal screw thing, thats your jet. take it out and it should say the side, if it is the stock jet, just go down a size and do a plug chop. There is a thread on that if you don't know how. Hope this helps and good luck

thanx dude. i know where the jet is. the carb is off already so i will check it in a lil bit.. i dont have a manual tho, and i cant find one online anywhere. ive searched for so long lol. but the dude i bought it from has has it for most of its life. and hes one of my good friends, so i know the jet is stock. he never changed anything. i was thinking the same thing thats why i was so damn confused too. since it was running fine and out of no where did this.

yeh, if you want a quick response, Engine or general support is your best bet. I suggest getting a compression tester, might have an air leak. If not then you prolly messed the piston