navy

tcoop474

Apr 15, 2009
alabama
is anybdy in the navy? im thinking bout at the end of the summer semester dropping college and joining to become an jet engine mechanic. i just wont some more info. thanx alot

I spent four years active and one in the reserves...diesel mechanic. Unless things have changed since I was in (1994-98), there's a sh_tload of people in the aviation field and you won't make rank very fast at all. The training is top-notch though.

You might want to look at Marines for jet or helicopter mechanic...either one pays well on the outside.

If I had it to do all over again, I would've been a Hull Technician (welder). There's so many times I would've used welding skills in everyday life, but I chose Engineman (diesel mechanic) and I don't even have a diesel pickup.

Last edited:
Aviation ordnance for 3 yrs. and hydraulics mech for 2 1/2 in the Navy about 9 yrs. ago...good experience and fun times had! Get the GI Bill and expand your mind if the training in the Navy doesn't pay off. Mine surely didn't and now I'm training in the IT field and gotta good paying job!

im thinkin about it...i wanna go to UCLA an if i go into the navy the'll pay for my schooling an crap...so idk im with you bro on jumpin in maybe...

My parents were both career Navy. Both high ranking, high clearance Officers. If you want to make rank and you want to make bank you're gonna have to do time at sea.

You can do aviation mechanics on an aircraft carrier and some amphibious assault ships haul around jets too. You'll get overseas pay and danger pay on top of your salary.

If you want to be an officer without dealing with too much political crapola then shoot for being a Bos'n or Chief Warrant Officer.

I just signed up for the Air Force myself, should find out in a couple weeks when I ship to basic. In the Air force you pick 5 jobs and they guarantee you get one of them. My first choice was Aerospace propulsion which is jet, turbo prop, and turbo shaft engines.
After that I choose tactical aircraft mechanic, helicopter mechanic, Aerospace maintenance, and Aircraft Electrical and environmental. If you really want to work on jet engines and get all the benefits of being enlisted I suggest you at least look into the Air Force (Oh yeah... We get shorter deployments too)

I would suggest that you go ahead and finish college though. At least I would if your going for a bachelors degree. With a bachelors degree you will become an Officer instead of just regular enlisted. You also start out at second lieutenant if I'm not mistaken. But Either way good luck with whatever you decide to do. And think of this. if you do join,and stay in. You could be retired by the time your 38-39. The best advice I can give is go talk to the recruiters and see what each branch has to offer. Then decide which best fits your life style. I chose Air Force because its whats best for me because I have a family. If I was single I may have chosen the Army or the Marines.

Ruthless is right. Even sailors say the air force is the best pick for all the branches...shhh...my parents would kill me if they knew I said that.

And I totally forgot about that. With a degree you get to start as an officer. Same goes for the Navy too. My parents retired in their early 40's.

If you have to absolutely drop out then at least get your associates. Don't quote me on this but I think you can start above enlisted if you have that. If you do decide on the Navy - see if you can start (i'm not sure if you have a choice) basic in the early fall or late summer if you can. Or spring. Great Lakes gets ridiculously cold.

And marines get a USN paycheck. I've heard them called the Navy muscle.

Cold... Got That right. I just went to silver lake sand dunes a month ago, right on lake MI. It was supposed to be in the 40's at night but you can knock 10 degrees off that when your right on the lake. Froze my arse off at night. sleeping in a tent in 35+/- degree weather sucks. But if you do Air Force do it soon because there is a 6-8 month wait to go to basic. That will get you into basic in the winter. The Air Force basic training is in San Antonio. And I hear Tx is pretty nice in the winter, although I would hate to be there right now.

i talked to a recruiter for the coast guard yesterday. im not gonna lie he told me straight up how it was he told me 8yr contract, after 6months to a yr i could apply for a school (not garenteed), i have to make a 65 on the asvab, start out as e1 have to go to e9 before i can even start training for airframe and powerplant.

Dude, that sounds kinda fishy to me. You have to be in for 10 years to become an E9.
I know in the Air Force you start as an E1 but as soon as basic training is over your go straight to tech school for whatever your AFSC is (AFSC=your job) in your case airframe mechanic.
check out this site it has a wealth of information to help you make your decision and it covers all branches
Joining the Military

Oh yeah, as someone once told me the coast guard AKA The Puddle Pirates (but honestly they have a pretty nice program)

steer clear of the navy and coast guard. its one big political circle jerk. you only do well if you're liked by your chief. all sailors will bend over backward to backstab you at the first chance they get.

im 13 a year Marine and still going strong. i've been on several ships for deployment, and even worked on NAS Pensacola as an instructor. every day i am reminded at how much better life is in teh USMC. boot camp may be a little tougher, but the quality of life afterward compared to a sailors is WAY nicer.

i say airforce if ur looking into aviation and stuff like that the airforce would be best but if u want to actually go into action such as actually fighting in wars go into the marines or army

i say airforce if ur looking into aviation and stuff like that the airforce would be best but if u want to actually go into action such as actually fighting in wars go into the marines or army

not true.

im in the aviation field. im an avionics technician with 13 years in the USMC and have not once seen combat. yes i have deployed in SUPPORT of the wars, but us mechanics are nowhere near the fight.

but, i can also put in a few comments about the AF as well. my little brother has been in the AF for about 6 years now. he deploys more often that i do, but for less time away per deployment. where i may deploy for 6 months every 2 years, he goes for 3 months sometimes 2-3 times a year. his job is the same as mine is, just a different branch of the service.

heres my office when i deploy to support the war...

harriers.jpg

53sun.jpg

05040810531.jpg

DSCN0897.jpg

not true.

im in the aviation field. im an avionics technician with 13 years in the USMC and have not once seen combat. yes i have deployed in SUPPORT of the wars, but us mechanics are nowhere near the fight.

but, i can also put in a few comments about the AF as well. my little brother has been in the AF for about 6 years now. he deploys more often that i do, but for less time away per deployment. where i may deploy for 6 months every 2 years, he goes for 3 months sometimes 2-3 times a year. his job is the same as mine is, just a different branch of the service.

really? i didnt have a clue lol. my dads in the airforce reserve and generally every couple months he goes somewhere for 2 weeks. but he went to iraq for 4 months though he was in kirkurk and i believe he said that his groups was one of the first groups to be actually deployed to iraq