mystery oil leak?

my93yfz

Jul 24, 2012
king county,washington
Hey there my names jesse, I am as defined a newbie, to the blasters that is, have had many bikes, 72 tt500 and a 2002 kx250 just to name a few. I am having an issue with this blaster I bought about a week ago, and would appreciate any and all feed back. So I haven't even put an hour of ride time on it yet, but I noticed it was leaking gas from both tubes on the carb when its off and a little when its idleing, was told from the guy I bought it from that it was normal, none of my other bikes ever did that. I was curious as to what would make it do that? Sticky float maybe? Another more serious of the two questions is a miysterious oil leak that's getting on the steering assembly the exhast pip and the head I took off the front plastic cover to find a clear tube that ran down to the crank case. , ididnt experience any loss of power or any harm other than it smoked for a few min. From the head/exhaust. I really don't know where to start, I drained the oil, about 1 & 1/4 qt. Came out so I'm guessing it had plenty.. the bike runs awesome. I put oil back in it and filled to 3/4 of the view window. And rode it for about 5 min. And then it was dark. Any tips or advice would be awesome.. and another quick question.. when you do an oil change is it similar to changing the fluid on an automatic trans, where it will say its full, than you start it up and shut it down and it says it needs more? Because of the torque. Converter filling up? And in this case with the blaster would it be the clutch filling up? Again thanks for your time! :)

Too much oil in the tranny will cause pressure due to expansion and force oil up the vent hose.

You had a pint too much oil in there.

The little window tells lies. When you initally fill it to the level on the window and then ride the bike, oil is picked up and moved elswhere in the box, leaving the window to look empty.

You need to measure 650ml of oil (3/4 of a quart) and then put it in, no more, no less.

It is not normal for gas to flow out of the tubes on the carb on any bike.

The needle is not shutting off the fuel, maybee because of some crap in the line, hardened rubber tip on the needle, or varnish build up in the seat

A poorly adjusted or a leaky float will to cause it to flood.

Howdy Jesse! Welcome!
The fuel drip is not normal. It is either float level wrong or float needle valve leak.
Pull you carb off, clean it up, set the float level and install a small fuel line filter.

Click on this link for a manual: Everyone needs a manual, Here is your Blaster Master Manual

The oil leak sounds like it is coming out your gearbox vent hose?
1.25 qts is too much oil and this is probably the only reason it was leaking. Only about 3/4 qt should drain.
The worst case is a small pressure leak from the engine, which would cause smoke and plug fouling too.
Search the forum about leak testing to learn more about it.

The oil gets dark pretty quick from the clutch particles only, but you might want to flush it a few times to get it cleaned out.
ATF Automatic Transmission Fluid is good for the clutch and cleans things out well, best oil for flushing.
Run it a few days and flush it when it turns dark.
You can run ATF or just about any motor or gearbox oil in these transmissions, except "energy saving" motor oil.
Look in the little API circle symbol. If it says "energy saving" or "energy efficient" it has an additive that will burn out your clutch.

Book calls for 10w30 motor oil, but here are you choices and info:
ATF, thin viscosity, best for the clutch and cold weather
10w30 motor oil, book recommended but watch for "energy saving"
special motorcycle 2 stroke gearbox oil, probably you best choice.
15w40 diesel oil, good choice for warm weather and hard use.
Gear oils, will work, be careful of too much viscosity except in hot weather

Here is an oil viscosity interchange chart:

viscositychart.jpg

Nice, thank you everybody! As far as the carb goes, I saw a sticky on float sticking and cleaning with toothpaste, I will try that, and 3/4 of a quart sounds good, I have that walmart 10-40 in there now, I will drain it out and replace with atf. I only rode it for five minutes with that 10-40 in there.. thanks for your help!! Also should I re route that vent tube to the rear? So if it dose leak it dosent hit the motor?

Some of these guys may have more experience at Blaster specific stuff than I, but a general rule of thumb is that the engineers were generally bright guys.
Although we may not know the reasons, they had good reasons for where they put stuff.
I would think that they made the hose large enough and high enough to allow vapour to drain back and to keep water from deep water crossings out,
and if we have the correct amount of oil in the gearbox, nothing should come out.
I would tend to leave it were it was.

Congrats on the fix ! , there is allot of great info here and the best way to find it is search or ask , People reply pretty fast when they can !!

the hose under the hood its the crank vent make sure you dont block it cause you may damage your seals i think you did put too much oil(650ml),about the carb leak maybe the float,on blasters carburators(mikuni if its stock) its easy to open and check