My project Blaster

Midwayusa

Mar 8, 2009
Near Manhattan, Kansas
So here it is finally. I didn't get photos of it before tear down because it was originally a paid project for someone else. I ended up with it and the project is on.
1_bare_blast.jpg

2_blast_start.jpg

3_misc_parts.jpg

4_front_fend.jpg

5_rear_fend.jpg

6_air_intake.jpg

Still lots of cleaning to do. The fenders and gas tank are all in the plastic bags and have been cleaned and ready to install. Engine is done and will post pics soon. Not going to be the nicest looking when done but pretty much building it for friends and family to ride at the dunes so they aren't on my Banshee. My boy will get it when he gets older and we will fix and bling it out as we go. Anyway the new parts include Moose handlebars, Motion Pro throttle cable, chain, sprockets, front chain slide, Uni air filter, fresh engine overhaul with Wiseco piston and new seals and much more.

Todays progress and wallet emptying:

7_blast_frame.jpg

8_blast_frame.jpg

9_blast_swing.jpg

10_blast_engine.jpg

11_blast_engine.jpg

12_blast.jpg

13_blast.jpg

14_blast.jpg

Didn't intend to tear it down to the bare frame. Put it on a milk crate to pull the wheels off and discovered the carrier bearings were out of it. Tie rod ends were loose and one boot was torn. Hit the dealer and got all the parts except the tie rod end. Blasted lots of parts today and painted them obviously. More blasting and painting tomorrow and more assembly pics will follow.

Latest progress pics. I actually finished it up Friday but was sick the last two days and didn't get any more pics yet. Got it running and it is way rich with the lid on so need to jet down. Also need to replace front brake cables but they will be here on Monday 3/28.

15_blast.jpg

16_blast.jpg

Hope to get the pics of the finished project up by tomorrow evening.

Nice man! That blasting and painting made all the difference in the world...

What pipe are you running? If you have an aftermarket pipe, you'll need somewhere around a 250-270 main with the airbox lid on. Or if you have the stock exhaust, it'll be fine with the factory 230, or maybe a 240 (depending on your elevation) main jet with the lid on. Hope that helps. Pilot should run well at a 32.5, no matter what kind of pipe. Just adjust the airscrew as needed.

Nice man! That blasting and painting made all the difference in the world...

What pipe are you running? If you have an aftermarket pipe, you'll need somewhere around a 250-270 main with the airbox lid on. Or if you have the stock exhaust, it'll be fine with the factory 230, or maybe a 240 (depending on your elevation) main jet with the lid on. Hope that helps. Pilot should run well at a 32.5, no matter what kind of pipe. Just adjust the airscrew as needed.

It has a Toomey B1 pipe, mild porting and a PWK28 carb. It had melted a piston and I wasn't absolutely sure why so I jetted up. It had a 152 and I went to a 160 based on some research I did on here. It runs good with lid off and 40 degree temp.

Plan to ride it more in 70 degree temps and mostly at the dunes. Got a 155 jet and still have the 152 so will do some playing with it as the temps warm up.

Last edited:
Had to go down to the garage for some pics for some E-Bay stuff so shot a few quick pics of the Blaster. Waiting on the new front brake cables so the hood isn't on yet. Also have a rear grab bar coming and need to do some touchup on a few things. My boy and I will bling it out as we go and hope to make it a little nicer than it is now.

17_blast.jpg

18_blast.jpg

19_blast.jpg

20_blast.jpg

21_blast.jpg

22_blast.jpg

Thanks guys. In this case the pictures do it justice. The rolling chassis is in great shape but the plastics are very rough. They do look lots better since I spent about an hour and a half running a heat gun over them. Made the stress marks look a lot better and actually made the fading kind of go away. I will probably do some wet sanding in some areas then some fine scotchbrite over them all. Did that on my Banshee it it helped tremendously.

I'll get a few more pics up as soon as I get the rear grab bar on, the front lower brake cables replaced and the hood on.

Finished for now. Wound up with a 152 main and will leave the air box lid off and add an Outerwears over the foam filter. Not perfect, but it is just a beater for the nepews and nieces to ride so they stay off my Banshee. Anyway here are some pics:

26_blast.jpg

27_blast.jpg

28_blast.jpg

29_blast.jpg

30_blast.jpg

31_ban_blast.jpg

Took the Blaster to Beaver Sand Dunes State Park near Beaver, OK and had a ball with it. It ran great. I rolled the Banshee and messed up the throttle cable so it was done mid day Saturday. Pulled the sand tires and wheels off it and put them on the Blaster and screamed around the rest of the day with it. I didn't win any drag races, but it was still in one pc. when I loaded it on the trailer.

Got both back to normal tonight and hopefully headed to Waynoka this weekend.

32_blast.jpg

The toys on the trailer at Liberal the morning of our ride.

33_blast.jpg

My sister taking it for a spin after I made sure all was well with it.

34_blast.jpg

Sittin in the lot waiting for a rider.

Last edited:
nice rebuild bro, looks factory fresh !!!!!!

Took the Banshee and the Blaster to Little Sahara Oklahoma the next weekend after the Beaver Oklahoma trip. The stator on the Banshee was acting up so put the sand tires on the Blaster again and rode it till I could get the stator changed on one of our breaks. Anyway here is a pic from the Beaver trip with the paddles on:

35_blast_sand.jpg

Works good but the sand at Waynoka was rutted up and it beat me to death with the stock suspension. I am actually trying to sell it and buy a Warrior, but not wanting to give in much on price so not getting many calls. Looking at some Banshee front shocks and a Honda rear shock. Maybe if I can get the suspension decent, I'll keep it. Just no comparison with the Banshee right now so not liking it much.