my new $500 88 trx250r

Feb 28, 2010
Kailua-Kona, HI
39193_1456620448394_1019837960_31333246_3482236_n.jpg

38234_1456621288415_1019837960_31333247_5281637_n.jpg

most details next weekend when I go look at it in person, my buddy who's built a few 250r full (he's a mechanic for a living) as well as alot of other bikes went to take a look at it for me (its 2hrs away and close to him) and he's gonna pick it up for me tomorrow and we'll wrench it at his place so it works out.

a few details he told me and I can see from the phone pix he sent me:
+2 +1 a arms standard travel, works shocks
pro taper fat bars so some fatbar clamps at very least he didn't look at that good
+1 minimum swing arm, nerfs, bumper
DWT front .190 wheels (bald holeshots)
ITP rears busted up a little and runable holeshots (gonna have my spare stocks w/mxr6 holeshots anyway when my new tires for the raptor come in this week so rears I have already just need fronts)
durablue rear axle with billet hubs wheel, sprocket and rotor I believe he said
possible steering stabilizer he forget and I can't tell from the pix
maier plastics
some graphics with seat cover
FMF pipe/silencer

he shook down the bike all bearings for ride appear good frame was recently repainted/powdered a nice dark blue metallic no repairs or cracks.

the BAD

motor is gone, has a big bore/stroker setup the top is off and skirt of jug is cracked (new sleeve minimum and will need to at least measure the piston to get the new sleeve but will try to get a full top end rather)

rod has play side to side and tho the crank rotates well I'm not into replacing rods and would prefer to do the crank too while I'm into it along with the bearings/seals.

so I'm looking to do a FULL rebuild of the motor bottom and top and clutch lol. my buddy has fully built 250r's already so not gonna be a problem but sourcing the parts will be the only issue lol. thinking I may sell my LTR to build the trx :D before I order a crank I'm going to crack the block and see if the case is worked for a stroker and if so I may get another stroker crank setup :D and will possibly do a big bore as well. we'll see. it's gonna be a project but basically it's all motor to rebuild. I'm considering just buying the atc 250r that's also on CL to pull the motor off and build the other motor while I at least have it running lol.part out the ATC or sell it as a roller..

I could also do a motor swap on it. but if I do a motor swap I'm thinking CBR600 motor.... and part out the motor that's on it now :D my buddy is a mechanic and he welds so I'd leave it all up to him as for doing any motor swap. he said if it were him he'd do a 4 stroke swap on it lol. he's owned/built his own personal 250r's (one he sold for like 5grand 2 years ago iirc) and he said basically they're high maintenance as they vibrate alot and need constant tightening and just upkeep. but I like the idea of finding a CBR donor to get it retarded lol. I already have my Tork honda pattern street rims all I need is to get the motor going and get some Duro Scorchers and it's ready to tear up some asphalt LMFAO...

comments all welcomed and I hope I can get this thing done up nice. IF I can :D finding and buying it was half the ordeal imo lmfao... it's missing some bolts for the plastics but I happen to have a bolt kit that includes the allen wrench plastic bolts :D

Putting a 4poke motor in that quad would be a big mistake, imo. If its already got a bbk kit on it then just rebuild it

if you put a 4 stroke in it, put in a new 450.......

sweet deal on it though man, wish i could find one that cheap

pleaseeeeee dont turn a perfectly rebuildable 250r into a 4joke.... ik that 4 strokes r more reliable and i have no problems with 4strokes... but 250r+4stroke motor= =(

pleaseeeeee dont turn a perfectly rebuildable 250r into a 4joke.... ik that 4 strokes r more reliable and i have no problems with 4strokes... but 250r+4stroke motor= =(

WTF is everyone saying 4 strokes are more reliable, its all a maintenance thing, the new high performance 4 strokes are just a finicky as a 2 stroke. and you can't compare a high performance 2 stroke with a low perf 4 stroke either

WTF is everyone saying 4 strokes are more reliable, its all a maintenance thing, the new high performance 4 strokes are just a finicky as a 2 stroke. and you can't compare a high performance 2 stroke with a low perf 4 stroke either

so true.... i should think before i wright... i maintain my blaster not alot but a little and it never breaks.... i dont maintain my bros ttr225 and that thing break everytime i ride it

damn I sooo wish I could find a 250r for that kinda of money. If you put a 4joke in that bike, I will personally find you and beat the living crap out of you, haha, jk. but seriously do not put a 4joke in that bike.

Rebuild it and get a powervalve cylider. You will not be dissapointed. My 350pv engine in mine is the sh*t. It smokes 450's.

Get a sh*tty blaster frame to cut up and put a cbr engine in.

how much would a built 350pv run me? I'm thinking a built motor clutch side and all may just be the ticket something reliable yet will stomp my LTR450. my LTR450 stomps my raptor and my raptor has a few little airbox mods and a slip on. so if it stomps my 450 then I won't miss it one bit :D

also I read about some Puma motors that are reliable and the sh*t? so I mean, if all I need to do is get a motor for less than 2 grand fully built I'm gonna sell my LTR and get it asap lol. plus my rims/tires will swap right over.. so I have rims/tires for it already :D which costed more than the bike itself lol

torkrims2.jpg

DSC04716.jpg

my rears will be set up by end of the week. after my rear mudlites come in and will go on the raptor. can't wait as I was sliding all over the place on todays ride with loose rock and gravel and sand (went to the beach with the bike for the 1st time)

there's a big cinder cone we were riding on right above this beach which has really good fishing/spearfishing for me but takes some serious offroading to get to. not a problem for my lifted titan usually but I gotta make sure my 4wd is working anyway, raptor on the beach front :D

38562_1456940096385_1019837960_31334848_3335677_n.jpg

I hear some stroker kit is the yz490 rod? gotta look into that too, my buddy who built a few (bottom ends and all) will be helping me wrench it, so I CAN rebuild it, but I'm gonna have to do bottom, top and clutch so at that point buying a built motor may not be much more? gonna research it thoroughly before pulling the trigger on whatever setup I do. the 4 stroke motor was a thought so I can get it going super quick. my buddy actually came up with that one as he has a z400 that he got as parts sitting as his house anyway with a good motor lol. I could put in my 450 motor and just get a full harness/electrical setup so I could swap the motor back and forth depending on what I felt like riding as well as rims/tires lol. but I do see what everyone is saying and I'll part it out before putting a 4 stroke in it. unless it's a cr500 or something but still not gonna do it. just build it or buy a built motor or part it are my options right now.

Heres a few links with packages.

TRX250R

EDDIE SANDERS RACING

Mine feels like 4 stroke power down low. It has mad torque just blip the throttle and the wheels spin, but then the power valve opens and the pipe kicks in. Its amazing.

Dont get me wrong I love 450's especially the ltr. I put a crank in one for a friend and "broke" it in for him, but these 350 kits are amazing engines.

Im running a ESR 5 pipe which is a low end grunt pipe, but they make low,medium, and high rpm pipes.

Thats a damn good deal! Wish i could fine that.... I have a 250r in need of some new skin! Everything else is great. I think i'm going to part it out soon. Let me know if you just want to buy a whole motor then throw your top end on it. Low hours on this one.

Thats a damn good deal! Wish i could fine that.... I have a 250r in need of some new skin! Everything else is great. I think i'm going to part it out soon. Let me know if you just want to buy a whole motor then throw your top end on it. Low hours on this one.

how much would you want for it?

anyone know, what all is involved/needed for a yz490 rodded crank? stock crank or stroker base (I know just the rod is yz490 not the crank but unsure if stock crank or stroker)? which custom piston would it need? do I need to machine the case for a small stroker like this? does anyone sell ready to bolt on yz490 rods/cranks?

I think if I do rebuild it, I want to do a stockish to 310 bore slightly larger stroke. thinking if I'm gonna get new ESR is the cheapest... but I'll probably want to get it ported so a trx7 and send it in for porting..