My first Blaster MX build!

crxbart

Jan 21, 2009
Mid Ohio
Hello all. I am brand new to this forum, and new to Blasters. In my adolescence I used to race MX on a 250R. I:I At our local sanctioning body always had a Blaster class, and I want to compete in it now. It always looked like a fun class. I am picking up a 97 Blaster tonight, I believe it is all stock. So it is time to build a MX Blaster. If any of you could assist me in anyway, I would appreciate it. My biggest concern is upping my suspension travel, and giving it a nice plush ride similar to what I loved of my modded 250R. Here is my proposed build.

SMS +5 +1 Long Travel A Arms
+3 Swingarm
+4 Axle Durablue?
Elka Shocks Front and Rear not sure which model
Hydro discs all the way around From Banshee, or Warrior
Remove Lights, and Oil Injection
AC Racing Nerfs
AC Racing Grab Bar
Duncan Racing National Kit (Midrange)
Duncan Racing Chrome Front Bumper
Renthal Low Rise Bars
Holeshots Front and Rear on Beadlocks 18x10, and 19x6
Shave the seat foam, and recover

Does that sound like a good build? I am really concerned about the suspension travel. I am hoping the components I picked would get me around 11-12" of plush travel. That stock 7.1" is just not going to cut it. My Downhill mountain bike has 8" travel for crying out loud. Any help is greatly appreciated. Allot of the stuff I picked was from brands I used with my 250r so if better stuff is available from other manufactures please let me know. If there are any helpful links or anything you can think of to help me with this I would appreciate it. My last race I competed in I won both motos. So I've got allot to live up to in my mind with this return from my 10 year hiatus.

Sounds like a good build, dont worry about he suspension travel, if you get long those long travels it should be no biggie... Sounds like a sweet setup just throw a race front hood in the mix...

Sounds like a good build, dont worry about he suspension travel, if you get long those long travels it should be no biggie... Sounds like a sweet setup just throw a race front hood in the mix...

LOL! Call me crazy but I kinda like the OEM hood with no fenders or cut fenders. I might pick one up though, we'll see. I want to do it in all black on black. The race hoods to me, just kinda look like it's trying to be a 250r or something.

I figure the +5s, and Long Travels should help the front. The rear has me worried though. IDK, hopefully someone who has built something similar will chime in.

get a 240cc kit and get a port job from one of the guys around here they do great work and get a fat basterd pipe and like a 34mm carb and project blaster air box v force reed cage and a stroker kit plus what u have and u would have a sweet ass blaster and do u have a crx i love them i have one running one and a parts car

I:II:II:II just got back from looking at the Blaster. It is in decent shape, so I am picking it up tomorrow. The frame needs powercoated, but it runs great, and there is really nothing wrong with it, other than the bottom of the frame being scraped up allot. So this build is about to start. On the way to meet this guy, I stopped by one of the local power sports shops, and I scored a complete front and rear Warrior brake setup for $100. So I am in business.

I was going to go with a round housing swingarm like one SMS makes, but I found this one on Ebay, and it is a phenomenal deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-Ya...890109QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Any thoughts on that? I personally don't see the big deal about the round housing BS. Then again I never owned a Yamaha before either, maybe it sucks, and I should spend the extra cash. IDK. I am definitely buying the SMS +5 front A Arms, after riding the Blaster for 2min. These things are ridiculously narrow. I can two wheel it very easily. I can't wait to take this thing out and really put it through it's paces. Then I will really know whats up.

Last edited by a moderator:
do u have a crx i love them i have one running one and a parts car
ot.gif

get a 240cc kit and get a port job from one of the guys around here they do great work and get a fat basterd pipe and like a 34mm carb and project blaster air box v force reed cage and a stroker kit plus what u have and u would have a sweet ass blaster and do u have a crx i love them i have one running one and a parts car

Cool, I'll have to check the rules on the 240cc kit. I am not sure if I am allowed to have a higher displacement. The Duncan National kit comes with allot of stuff already so idk. Here is a link to the kit.

http://www.duncanracing.com/prods/EK-32NT,+EK-32HR/

Warring below is OT, and should be disregarded unless you are blasterjarred!!!!

Yeah I have 2 CRXes myself. The one you might like, but it is going to slow my Blaster build down a bit. I daily drive a 88 CRX HF which is fairly stock. The other one is an 89 Si, is getting a roll cage installed, JDM glass roof, and painted. I had a Wings West kit on it, but I sourced, and installed a real deal Mugen Pro.2 kit from Japan, and installed it, shortly after I put the K20A in it. So I have to spend a little more money on that car to finish it up, then I can get on this Blaster. The new Blaster project might kill my hopes of a 2.6L bottom end for the CRX. At least for this year. You can check out my website if you want, I have plenty of pics on there, although it is messed up a bit because my host, went through a transition, and screw some of the stuff up. The website is www.crxbart.com If you need anything CRX related, I've one it all. So maybe we can trade CRX knowledge for Blaster knowledge! :-D

yea its also off topic for u to say somethen about it but i dont wana argue about it and that swinger looks likea good deal to me actuwaly go to the for sale section of this site and someones parting out a nice blaster got some stuff u might want and u could save money

yea its also off topic for u to say somethen about it but i dont wana argue about it and that swinger looks likea good deal to me actuwaly go to the for sale section of this site and someones parting out a nice blaster got some stuff u might want and u could save money

Yeah, I've been browsing the classifieds, but I really shouldn't be. I have to finish my CRX first. IDK it's hard though, I might move this Blaster up the priority ladder. The motor work will not be a big priority yet. I want to get the chassis done first at least, then get back to the CRX. Yeah that sounds like a plan.

also another way to gain some inches in the front is swap the front wheels around backwars easy if u have drum brakes but when u get disc brakes u have to get flush air things lol forgot what there called but i think u gain like 3 inches by doing this

also another way to gain some inches in the front is swap the front wheels around backwars easy if u have drum brakes but when u get disc brakes u have to get flush air things lol forgot what there called but i think u gain like 3 inches by doing this

Yeah I might flip the fronts for now. That way it is a little more fun for now. I think I've decided to make the Blaster a priority, at least the chassis part of it. It's just way to stock to be in my shop. I am a self proclaimed mod junkie! I figure, by the March I should have this all done, minus the motor.

So what all is involved with running a Banshee axle? More people offer them, and if I got a +4 for a Banshee, it would get my back end a few more inches. I found a thread on here about it, but it was kinda vague.

yea u can do that but u have to get a banshee disc hub and u gain like 2 inch so if u was to get the +4 then u would have 6 inches but i read the other day that a guy put one in his blaster and its un evan but i dono

yea u can do that but u have to get a banshee disc hub and u gain like 2 inch so if u was to get the +4 then u would have 6 inches but i read the other day that a guy put one in his blaster and its un evan but i dono

Yeah that was the thread I was talking about. +6 would be so crazy! The race hoods are starting to grow on me too. Not to mention it would give me a nice spot for a front number plate.

Cool, I'll have to check the rules on the 240cc kit. I am not sure if I am allowed to have a higher displacement. The Duncan National kit comes with allot of stuff already so idk. Here is a link to the kit.

http://www.duncanracing.com/prods/EK-32NT,+EK-32HR/

Warring below is OT, and should be disregarded unless you are blasterjarred!!!!

Yeah I have 2 CRXes myself. The one you might like, but it is going to slow my Blaster build down a bit. I daily drive a 88 CRX HF which is fairly stock. The other one is an 89 Si, is getting a roll cage installed, JDM glass roof, and painted. I had a Wings West kit on it, but I sourced, and installed a real deal Mugen Pro.2 kit from Japan, and installed it, shortly after I put the K20A in it. So I have to spend a little more money on that car to finish it up, then I can get on this Blaster. The new Blaster project might kill my hopes of a 2.6L bottom end for the CRX. At least for this year. You can check out my website if you want, I have plenty of pics on there, although it is messed up a bit because my host, went through a transition, and screw some of the stuff up. The website is www.crxbart.com If you need anything CRX related, I've one it all. So maybe we can trade CRX knowledge for Blaster knowledge! :-D

you gotta k20a in that?!?!
i got an h22 in my 91 prelude si. But a k20 will smash!!!!
sorry about the "off-topicness"

you gotta k20a in that?!?!
i got an h22 in my 91 prelude si. But a k20 will smash!!!!
sorry about the "off-topicness"

Yeah, a type-R K20 at that. It should be mag worthy once it is completed. The motor was already in Honda Tunning, when my friends were double featured a few years back. It really does smash, but this is what I do. I mod the hell out of stuff. Even my HF has power everything, navi, 2000watt rms stereo, Si wheels, hi amp charging system, IHE. Thats what I consider fairly stock. It will be recieving the K out of the other CRX whenever I get around to building the 2.6l for it. Just wait till you guys see this Blaster. Quads cost nothing to mod compared to cars. Seriously though, I mod everything, my bicycles, my firearms, my cars. My K20 crx has no stock parts anymore other than the support beam under the dash, and it has even been welded on. ;) To make this post on topic again. I am adding frame gussets, to my to do list, and welding on mounts for Raptor nerf bars.

"DRI NATIONAL kits stay with 200cc. DRI kits beat others 240cc kits and are also cheaper and more reliable."

thats BS..straight up, a 240cc kit with a +3 stroker and a nice port job from flotek, and ull whoop!..for abt 2/3rd of that price