my epic day(not)

X-222 on leak down. Not flaming, but anybody, when you have a major problem test it BEFORE you tear it apart. First thing I did to son's shee when it locked up. It spit a big end roller into the cylinder X(. Try a reverse leak down, rig up some air to the vent hose (6-8 lbs) and listen for air leaking into crank area. Unless you have a big a$$ hole right under carb, fuel would have to fill crank area then seep through hole, leaky case sealing, or bad crank seal. dont't remember, but also check keyway on primary crank gear, I know sometimes they leak on banshees, not sure on Blasties. 8-| I:I

X-222 on leak down. Not flaming, but anybody, when you have a major problem test it BEFORE you tear it apart. First thing I did to son's shee when it locked up. It spit a big end roller into the cylinder X(. Try a reverse leak down, rig up some air to the vent hose (6-8 lbs) and listen for air leaking into crank area. Unless you have a big a$$ hole right under carb, fuel would have to fill crank area then seep through hole, leaky case sealing, or bad crank seal. dont't remember, but also check keyway on primary crank gear, I know sometimes they leak on banshees, not sure on Blasties. 8-| I:I

ummmmm? what? lol pm me

If theres gas in the tranny a new carb is the least of your problems and is most likely not going to help your quad.You either have a REALLY bad crank seal on the clutch side or a leak between the cases. Either way do a proper leakdown test first eliminating all posibilities before splitting cases.

Lets get back to basics, you say the crankcase is full of gas, if that is the case then it has to get in through the carby inlet.

But then you say you drained it. I do not remember a Blaster having a crancase drain plug.

The gear box has a drain plug, is that what you drained?

If gas came out of there, it must have come in from the crankcase, unless the gearbox breather is connected to an overflow from the carb.

For gas to get to the gearbox, is has to go either through a hole in the case, or a crank seal.

Firstly you need to leak test the crankcase, repair if needed, then address the carb overflow problem.

Lets get back to basics, you say the crankcase is full of gas, if that is the case then it has to get in through the carby inlet.

But then you say you drained it. I do not remember a Blaster having a crancase drain plug.

The gear box has a drain plug, is that what you drained?

If gas came out of there, it must have come in from the crankcase, unless the gearbox breather is connected to an overflow from the carb.

For gas to get to the gearbox, is has to go either through a hole in the case, or a crank seal.

Firstly you need to leak test the crankcase, repair if needed, then address the carb overflow problem.

yeah i drained it out of the gear box, ill get a leakdowntester

Sounds to me like your cases aren't sealed right, or are cracked. It would be in between the trans and crankshaft. Right on the wall of the crankcase. When it burns trans oil it smokes a lot, but JUST gas in the trans oil wouldn't make it run like that. I'd split those cases if I were you.

Sounds to me like your cases aren't sealed right, or are cracked. It would be in between the trans and crankshaft. Right on the wall of the crankcase. When it burns trans oil it smokes a lot, but JUST gas in the trans oil wouldn't make it run like that. I'd split those cases if I were you.

it has oil alot of oil in it, not just gas, and i was planning on spliting the cases

ummmmm? what? lol pm me

don't understand what you want me to PM about. :-/
You already took cylinder off, correct? If you have a compressor turn regulator down to about 6-10 lbs. Use blow tip on trans vent tube to pressurize trans. If there is a leak it will blow air (or oil) into crank area (crankcase). If you just tear it apart you might not find problem, might save some work if it's only a crank seal. B)

I know I've seen mention of Banshees leaking at primary drive gear keyway, thought I've also seen mention of something simular on Blasters. Hopefully someone will confirm or disprove this. ANYBODY??? :eek:

pulled my top end off, is the crank supposed to be this wet D:
f53a2066.jpg

I would test it like larry said, add air pressure to the gear box side and listen.

Most likely the clutch side seal is leaking and would explain the gas in the trans fluid and smokey exhaust.
You won't need to split the cases if it's just the seal leaking, Just have to pull the clutch cover and primary gear to get to it.

sh*t wears out, how old is it? How many revolutions do you think that crank has made in that seal? Average 5,000 rpm, say 100 hours of use (probably more) 5,000x60x100= 30,000,000 revolutions :eek: or it could be up to 23yrs old

If that were residual premix oil it would be either red or greenish tint, not dirty brown X(