My blaster project... input needed and parts needed also!

blasters "R" us

Aug 9, 2011
Michigan
So, I bought my blaster the other year and basically it has been messed around on and used as a typical ride, the winter and school starts up soon so I wont have time to ride and I have a big ass garage that I rarely use. So as of yesterday I tore down it as the pos it came as, it was beat on and the only reason I bought it was because it ran and also was cheappppp!I:I basically it was 650. with extra seat (faded not ripped), complete a-arms, some extra rims and tires. The thing could be parted for more. I am swapping the frame out soon, with a 98 blaster rather than the 89 its in now that has no vin (therfore) no title(discussed it and prolly stolen :-/) oh well. Not by me and I had every mean to think it wasnt at the time purchased. Can explain if needed. Right now the frame I am switching to is ok but needs a powder coat. The motor still runs but I want to mod it. Clutch and carb are said to be stock???

Here are my plans so far.....

Appearance:
-powder coat frame
-spray paint plastic (kinda weary but looks good on my buddies, almost pro)red w/ black mixed in to outline the bike
-aftermarket plastics (front fenders and also the newer style headlights)
-custom clutch cover

Performance:
-extended a-arms (+3 +1 im thinking)
-extended rear axel
-new tires/chrome rims
-Brakes front+back (undecided on what yet though)
-upgraded shocks (thinking 450 but undecided)
-possibly some other things to lighten it, carbon fiber items

engine:
-undecided on almost all, I want to keep it stock but I also want oomph if I am dumping money into all other aftermarket parts.
-big bore kit or other depending on your input.

I really need ideas, on everything I am not so sure how to cope with my first project. I am 16 and basically all self taught because my dad wont show me like he was shown, guess he thinks im a dumb motha f*ker, but im really interested. I have alot of thoughts for this and almost no background on it besides I know it has fatty gold fmf series pipe, and also a rebuild..... beyond that I havent really looked into it.

If you imput on something say what it pertains to, performance, engine, appearance and also what it will run me and how it affects such objects, even pics or videos of your bikes with it equipped, if needed.

Im new hear and to motors so I will need alot of guidance but ill be worth it even if I am a newb like I said. Ill keep pics updated. Pics will be below with what it looked like befor and just now after tearing the plastics and lights down. Will do swap soon on frames so will have pics up when I can. Hopping this will be a quick project a year or so. I will be selling it probably so if interested in a bulid you know is done right keep a close eye on this, planning to do this as a project, finish, sell for a better car . Also if you have something I may want or for sale, pm or post it on here and if I dont want it someone else is sure to, post price shipped to my door unless you live in michigan around grand rapids.

First look:
DSCF0336.jpg

My work area/beginning start, im doing painting and frame swap first:
CIMG0001.jpg

CIMG0005.jpg

Also check my album in photobucket, usr name "supra-size_me" for more pics I dont post on here which im sure there will be more than I post on this thread. Also a vid in there!

looking cool man, make sure you use 4-5 coats of clear on the plastic and if u can find gasoline resistant paint for them that would be good. Get some vf3 reeds for a cheap upgrade, 14-40 tooth sprocket, some nerf bars so you dont run yourself over lol. you could get it ported by ken occonor or flotek is what everyone will reccomend but that is if you have the money, otherwise do some small stuff and keep us updated!

Thanks for the support, I have a question though, in terms of porting.... What exactly does it benefit and how so, does it add more power or just help to keep the top end going longer? Or both? I think that is what it refers to is both better performance and less wear. Is that correct?

As I think I said, I want to paint it all first and go from there, getting powder coat first, painting plastic, and I think im doing spray paint on the a-arms and axel and swing arm. For now because I will probably will upgrade it all and dont want to powdercoat it and never use it after a month. I currently have 500-600 to dump in and I get paid weekly with only 2 objects in my way, gas and insurance every 6months. SO I will have alot more. Also what do you think specifically on the red and black theme. Is it overated or not common? I can go any color with 2 sets of plastics, and basically everything else. ANy ideas on that, I also though of like a orange and black, blue and white, anything..... how would you guys do it just for reference?

Porting will improve power output substantially. At what point in the power curve it increases it is up to you and your builder. Any of the builders here can set you up with anything from a more low/mid trail port to a top end only screamer drag port. The builder will also be able to help you pick out the best carb and pipe to go with your porting.

Like cole and blasterlover said...porting will give massive power gains. But, how do you plan on riding? Some of that suspension may not be necessary.

Actually, upgrading the suspension first is the best idea, Imo.
I am doing +3+1 arms and YFZ 450 shocks on my build and also a 400 ex rear shock is a great upgrade on a budget. Check out my build thread and get some ideas. I'm getting my arms in tomorrow so stay tuned for pics of that setup.

Mainly I will be riding it on a str8 paved road with little dirt strips in it, So mainly its a strip but I want it for recreational. So high end recreational, and the shocks and suspension will be upgraded not only because it will have to but I am looking at resale and if I go big on a blaster, I want it to be safe and durable for whoever owns it next. I am not a drag guy, but I want the most power I can get without it being so powerful it rattles the frame and cracks it (most drag bikes imo) No offense to those with drags, I just need it to last. Im going to check your thread build out right now Cole, I wana see what the a-arms look like on a bike freshly installed so ill keep checking in.

When you go to sell it, replace some if not all of your aftermarket suspension back to stock, because the resale will not increase too much with that suspension on there. Also, by taking it off and going back to stock suspension for sale, you won't have to buy it all again for your next blaster :)

When I go to sell it, the person buying it im sure will get a heck of a deal, the items I am thinking about buying go into the 1000's for basic items, and I am keeping all stock items, so when they buy its a package. Also if and when I sell it will be because I have to move onto college and also into my own apartment, family rules, until I get a stable place with land to ride I wont own another machine for awhile :{

I got my drained paypal account ready for money so if anyone thinks there interested in selling items, such as a swing arm or other than stock shocks, im looking for those now. I kinda want a +4 swing arm right now..... but offers are ok pm or post cash amount shipped to my door in michigan.

When I go to sell it, the person buying it im sure will get a heck of a deal, the items I am thinking about buying go into the 1000's for basic items, and I am keeping all stock items, so when they buy its a package. Also if and when I sell it will be because I have to move onto college and also into my own apartment, family rules, until I get a stable place with land to ride I wont own another machine for awhile :{

Gotcha. I didn't know that was the case. Sell it all then, sell it all! Haha.

New plan looking for a frame, had to do on with the roller I was going to use, my dad decided he would like to rebuild the top end for it so we can rid when i get it all set up after the project. I am looking for a frame shipped to my door in michigan. Dont want to buy from ebay so much so make me a deal and maybe we can work a deal out. post on here and ill pm you for pics and price and try to make a deal. I use paypal and since im new I will have to see your rep is good or have references b4 transferring the money. Any color but prefer red or black.

Sprayed the plastics clean today at the car wash:D So it will be set up and prepped and partially painted tomorrow, I will upload pics when they are done and on. I will even clean her up for you guys....I:I

must have good vin, forgot to mention that!

That looks great man. looks like u put a lot of time into it.

Say what? I just started my brother I only have the time of taking plastics and wheels off. The workspace took me longer to set up. haha. Anyways, yeah just started, the plastics are to be sanded tomorrow and painted and equipped thursday have a delay that came up, "typical".

Besides that guys, I have a question what is the difference in have extended arms, and extended bolts or what not they are called, just handle or am I talking two different things? I want it to sit lower but still have a nice spring to it so it dosent scrape.

Damn this is going to be a 50 page thread:eek:

Hey guys, quick update, should have pics soon.... still painting plastics, im going solid blake with red strip up the middle. I think I have a new 04' frame coming in thanks to the for sale threads and also blueblaster55. Will keep you updated if I do end up buying it. After that I am looking to widen out my body, im thinking something similar to track blasters, new tires,rims and a-arms. I was wondering when I buy a new axel, which one would be the best and easiest hands down to swap? I was thinking extending it maybe 3" on each side if possible so it sits low and looks like a track bike.

What are your thoughts and opinions?

So I bought a new frame near identical to my previous replacement as seen in my photobucket album. The only problem I encountered is the cap and needle on the carb seem different. Is that suppose to mean something???

I am still working but all my work i am redoind because these plastics are better so I am painting them. I also may end up trading+cash for a banshee for some crazy reason. I really cant say why, mainly because I love the front end of it. Besides that they hold the resale way better seemingly, even know I hear bad things about carbs and tampering with them. I will keep updated and I realize pics are long overdue. Thats all, if I dont trade than I will prolly stick to maintenance on apperance because I want a running machine until winter. After I may add some new vf3 reeds and also may have it ported..... not sure yet.

Its in the frame, I wiped mainly everything down. Frame, Plastics, tires, rims stem...... I am thinking about a new color scheme. black seat with the orange down the middle. Black for side fenders front/back, maybe a orange outline? I am going to get a gold frame, black rims, and gold hubs or whatever they are. I also am thinking orange shocks. I want the orange and gold to looks similar so they contrast though so not that autozone orange more toned down. Maybe gold and black a-arms combo. I think it sounds sick but do you think it will be nice?

I can get pics sometime tomorrow of the new frame and plastics, even the frame is better condition than mine so Im happy I made the swap for sure. Will only add pics if someone wants to see it, basically its a cleaned up 98 blaster.

Note: The motor could use a good cleaning and new case. Also I was thinking a chrome motor and better black half mix, with black cover saying Yamaha and having a orange outline around the "Yamaha". Any thoughts on the motor scheme, like should I go part gold instead of chrome. I traded my other stuff for powder coating services, I basically am allowed anything and any color, which is pretty sick because it will be done faster this way.