My '03 Project - REBOOT!

Re: My '03 Project

thanks for the suggestions braap. i plan to run the tires that are on it until i can find some cheap warrior/banshee hubs. probably use them for a backup set.

100_0999.jpg

100_1000.jpg

100_1001.jpg

100_1002.jpg

gotta a little more done. figured out a temp mount for the airbox, cut the plastics for the cfm.

what can brown do for you?

100_1011.jpg

help me get this mofo one step closer to breathing. that's my new trinity exhaust. same thing as ct, f7, power pros, etc.

100_1014.jpg

100_1016.jpg

here are my new RMATV special dunlops mounted on my warrior wheels. still looking high and low for a set of hubs so they'll fit.

100_1010.jpg

Last edited:

oh yeah, on a serious note i think i may have a problem. when i did my leakdown test i could not for the life of me get the cylinder pressurized. i tried everything i knew and could not get it until i heard air escaping somewhere. checked the reeds, base, and head gaskets, but found no bubbles. got to looking and noticed the case breather tube hissing.

does this sound like bad crank seals? i plugged it up with a screw driver and the cylinder held pressure. i thought the breather tube vented the tranny? lemm know.

Oops, no biggie though...hopefully. Sounds like a blown crankshaft seal. Probably why the engine's top end blew up on the first owner.

Either way, take the clutch cover off and spray the crankshaft seal behind the clutch cover with soapy water. I bet it will bubble like crazy.

If the seal is indeed blown (most likely problem), I would replace it AND the collar at the same time. I have both a new seal and collar if you want 'em. OEM Yamaha. $ 15.00 shipped to your door...

You shouldn't have to, as long as its just a bad seal. The cases do NOT have to be split to change a crank seal. You can change the crankshaft oil seal by just pulling the clutch cover and taking off a couple parts. The clutch basket will have to come off to gain access to the crank, but its not hard to do, and you don't need any special tools to do it.

If your engine won't hold any pressure at all, it may be obvious that the seal is torn, out-of-place, or blown as soon as you see it.

good man. makes me feel a little better i guess. i don't have a problem tearing it back down, but if i don't have to i ain't lol. let me check it tomorrow and i'll get back to you on the that seal and collar.

You dont even have to pull the motor, just the side cover. I did this multiple times until I found out that my cases were cracked lol. 2 new gaskets and a collar later I split the cases.

well, if i can narrow it down to the crank seal on the clutch side do i need to worry about the stator side too. which one is more common to fail?

The seals come as a set. The stator side seal is FAR easier to replace than the clutch side seal. If the clutch side seal is already leaking, go ahead and pop both new seals in there. You might be very glad you did...

Make sure when you pull the primary drive gear off you stick the leak tester back in there and re-pressusrize the case and spray it down with soapy water. Make sure it's the seal leaking. If the seal isn't what's leaking, then you may have to split the cases to lap and reseal them.

well, sh*t. another monkey wrench has been thrown in the mix. i took the clutch cover off to check the crank seal. it was okay, but just out of seat so i pressed it back in. performed the leak test again and now air is rushing past the counter balancer bearings. what does this mean?

now to the other problem. i installed the clutch basket back in and tightened the bolts down. now i don't have any clutch pull at all. what the heck do i need to do now?

planned to have this stupid thing running in the next few days too...

Wow man, what a transformation! And what a steal for $400! Looking really good!

if the cluch was pulling before then something is weird try pulling it off and making sure that it is in right.

well, this build is going to be put on hold for quite a while. it appears that during my numerous leak down tests i have found that my cases have to be split and repaired. tried to get away with having a slight crack behind the crank, but it has come back to bite me in the ass. :-[ luckily i have not started it with the new topend yet.

gonna pull the whole motor and get the bottom end repaired. may talk to ken about it and possibly send it to him. with the way things are going it won't be anytime soon. may be a chance to paint the frame if i decide to though. so for now i have a fancy roller to look at...

:(

That is a bummer! But be glad you caught it before ya decided to run. Saved yourself some money and time. If I had a set of cases I'd hook ya up, But that one thing i don't have. The clutch part you must have not lined the two dots up on the pressure plate and the inner cluch basket. simple fix. -Bob

Wow man, this sucks! Ken will get it all sorted out, but I hate looking at a nice chassis that doesn't run and can't be ridden. Hope you get 'er running soon!

yeah, it does suck. a lotta money thrown away quick with nothing to show for atm. i put an ad on the local CL and had few bites already. hope my luck turns around soon.

Hopefully...but don't give up on it! It'll be money well-spent once you get it up and running. You can probably get away with replacing just the damaged case half. Even if you need two case halves, you can buy the halves and send them + your bottom end off to Ken and let him take care of it. It might not be the cheapest way to go, but it will be done right and you'll be happy with the end result.