mx build tips for my 03 blaster

ttracer6x

Feb 1, 2011
I am wanting to build my blaster for mx/trail riding currently i dont want to spend a lot of money but i dont want to go to cheap.
My specs
stock engine
vf3 reeds
fmf full exhaust
k&n filter
suspension stock

1. would it be best to fab my swinger +3 or go with this one Extended BLASTER Swingarm Yamaha Swing arm yfs200 | eBay
2. shee axle or gforce
3.i have a 240 kit just need a needs a piston and sleve or have oconner port it
4. shee front shocks and 400ex rear shock or set of works
5. fab up something like the dimond j or buy a set of a arms or fab those up as well
thanks for reading

Last edited by a moderator:
I am wanting to build my blaster for mx/trail riding currently i dont want to spend a lot of money but i dont want to go to cheap.
My specs
stock engine
vf3 reeds
fmf full exhaust
k&n filter
suspension stock

1. would it be best to fab my swinger +3 or go with this one Extended BLASTER Swingarm Yamaha Swing arm yfs200 | eBay
2. shee axle or gforce
5. fab up something like the dimond j or buy a set of a arms or fab those up as well
thanks for reading

Ok I'll help ya out here.

1. For extended swingarms, your best bet and probably the most inexpensive way is to get your stocker extended. Go ahead and shoot the member "Strokedtater244". He does custom swingarm extensions as well as other custom fabbing for a great price.

2. Your best bet for an axle would be a shee axle. They are just as tough as blaster axles, and give the blaster +2 1/2" of rear axle length.

3. If you already have a 240 kit that needs a cylinder sleeve and a piston I would go ahead and use it. If you need some pricing estimations call up Ken O'connor and he'll tell you a pretty accurate estimate of what it will cost to get the work your looking for done.

4. Cheapest and somewhat of an upgrade for shocks will be Shee fronts and 400ex rear. If you have the money, go with works but those shocks will do you just fine.

5. Diamond J widening kits look silly to me. Thats just my opinion and I think they are a waiste of money. If I were you, I would go ahead and get extended a-arms like ASR's or you could have the member "StrokedTater244" extend your stock a-arms for a great price. You can also talk to "sicivicdude" about a-arms, he makes custom "beta" a-arms that are extended and look professional!

Good Luck, if you have any other questions just ask!

i would talk to stroked tater about a swing arm unless you have the skills to fab it.
also about a arms its alll about how much you want to spend if you can afford a arms i would buy them but if not get a diamond j widening kit and shocks.
a ported stock cylinder would beat a out of the box vitos big bore .
works are way better than shee and 400ex shocks but cheaper its up to you

shee shocks arent gonna do any good on a mx track. they are a slight upgrade over the blaster shocks. if you are going to do mx the suspension is where you need to start imo. a good suspension will make you faster.

My specs
stock engine
vf3 reeds
fmf full exhaust
k&n filter
suspension stock

2. shee axle or gforce
thanks for reading

use that swinger in the link works front shpcks 400ex rear fmf is a low end pipe get a right bender like lrd or dyno port or factory7 and shee or gforce axle is good people will tell you othe wise that gforce is sooo much better only because it costs more and looks cooler i have a shee on my trail bike and it works just fine i like it better than my gforce cuz it looks tough get sicivicide a-arms or diamond j kit they work just find but add weight people will also say they suck but truth is i bought my bike used and it already had it so it has been wore and some tight stiff yfz shocks it was able to support those and it works just as good as extended a-arms but extended a-arms will outlast your diamondj widening kit and your 240 kit give it to ken o conner if you want to win if you dont might as well call the race track officials and tell them to put you in last place for the season and your going to need nerf bars and wheels and of course mx tires

oh and i believe the requirements is you also need heel guards some stock yfz or raptor heel guards can be modded to fit a on a blaster.

use that swinger in the link works front shpcks 400ex rear fmf is a low end pipe get a right bender like lrd or dyno port or factory7 and shee or gforce axle is good people will tell you othe wise that gforce is sooo much better only because it costs more and looks cooler i have a shee on my trail bike and it works just fine i like it better than my gforce cuz it looks tough get sicivicide a-arms or diamond j kit they work just find but add weight people will also say they suck but truth is i bought my bike used and it already had it so it has been wore and some tight stiff yfz shocks it was able to support those and it works just as good as extended a-arms but extended a-arms will outlast your diamondj widening kit and your 240 kit give it to ken o conner if you want to win if you dont might as well call the race track officials and tell them to put you in last place for the season and your going to need nerf bars and wheels and of course mx tires

Longest sentence I've ever seen.

dont do anything to the engine until you get the suspension. i didnt think suspension was important until i adjusted mine. now i am one of the fastest guys on the track.

yea i know about nerfs and those rules i race short track on my honda 250r hybrid. I can fab up some stock swingers. i have done some before but i will leave the a arms to someone who has made them before. Its mainly going to be used for hair scrambles.
Will be used for some mx but only quad classes we have are atv a and b. Thanks for input

i would save a little money and get some works shocks on it, some +2+1 a arms or +3+1 depending on how the harescramble courses are.

if you do the swinger, read the suspension geometry 101 thread, it'll help you to get the most travel out of the extension.

start with suspension first, then i'd add a pipe, reeds, and filter and it'd be a pretty decent setup for a while if money is tight.

i'd just concentrate on the suspension first, the a arms are going to be your best bet on the front for a competition quad

so when i get to the motor worked on after suspension. would Ken O'connor be the way to go to get my cylinder ported