Motor revving uncontrollably

Yamaha1

May 14, 2014
Flint
Ok I flipped my quad while doing some donuts. I flipped it back over , went to start it and she fired right up but was just revving by itself so I can't keep it running to long or else I'll blow my motor. Also pulling the choke all the way out helps it from revving. I already replaced the base gasket and made sure the throttle wasn't sticking. What else could it be? & It will drive by itself if I put it in first gear. Thanks in advance.( I did recently jet the carb)

Could the flip over have cracked the carb boot or damaged the reed block from the sudden jolt.

My two favourite words.

Leak test!

Reactions: Yamaha1
Between the carb boot and the jug, they sometimes crack there if they have been nipped up too tight.

Check also if the oil injection nipple is still attached.

I wish I could do a leak test in 9 minutes I would make a fortune.

Looking will not tell if it has fractured enough to let air in.

Put you tester on it!

I wish I could do a leak test in 9 minutes I would make a fortune.

Looking will not tell if it has fractured enough to let air in.

Put you tester on it!
I had the motor running while I sprayed it with starting fluid and it didn't rev up.

Is it premix or oil injection, if it still has the pump you may need to bleed it after flipping!

My two favourite words.

Leak test!

Starting to hate those words :mad:

Working on a Blaster needed carb clean, etc. All good. Gets it warmed up and ZING, so of course the kill switch doesn't do the job :confused:. Gear stomp, clutch bang :rolleyes:
Things I found will be worth a thread by itsself.
Had to take a break from it, and walk away.

If your not gonna do what people tell you to do, were going to give up. You most likely have an air leak. Its ether leak test or prepare to open you wallet for a rebuild.

If your not gonna do what people tell you to do, were going to give up. You most likely have an air leak. Its ether leak test or prepare to open you wallet for a rebuild.

Hope that wasn't directed at me :mad:

I took on a repair job that was only a carb clean and a few minor things.

I had the motor running while I sprayed it with starting fluid and it didn't rev up.
You said it was revving by itself, then this^^ so spraying with starter fluid helped?
How many psi for how long did the leaktest hold, and when you replaced the base gasket I hope you didn't use a cheap paper one. You never said if it was pre-mix or oil injection. Look in the carb n make sure the slide is moving properly

hmmmm well if it is not getting a ton of air and or a ton of gas then it would not rev up uncontrollably,:D maybe unless you spark plug was melted to itself :)o_O

no air no gas=no rev
tons of air,tons of gas=lots of revolutions per minute