More Tech Tips

Cochise

May 22, 2007
Tyrone, PA
www.myspace.com
Well decided I would throw together some tips that have worked for me for YEARS.

1. When installing handle bars (or anything on the bars for that matter), Take a piece of 80GRIT sand paper or Emory cloth and sand the hard edges off of the clamps and mounts. Then sand the inner part (where the bars go). Also when tightening them down MAKE SURE the space is even the whole way around the clamp so you have even pressure and little to no chance of slipping.

2. Anti-Seize or grease. Put this on any and every bolt you can.

3. Thread locking compound. If your worried a bolt or nut may vibrate loose. Use some thread locker 'em. Use BLUE thread locker for a bolt that may be removed often. Use RED for bolts that will only be removed once or twice over an extended period of time.

4. Grips. I'm sure you've all read the write up on how to float them off. So we will talk about re-installing them (or a new pair). MAKE SURE there is no dirt/dust where the grip will be going. If you cannot man-handle them on. use some spit. Stick your finger in your mouth and wiggle it around (HAHAH) and make some funny noises if you feel like it. Smear it inside the grip and on the bars and it should slide on easily. Another method is hairspray. Give it a shot down into the grip and slide it on. Carb cleaner can be used to the same effect. Last but not least SAFETY WIRE YOUR GRIPS. I've done this for YEARS and never had grip twist.

5. Chain maintenance. Get you and old toothebrush (or a GRUNGE brush), some mineral spirits, a rag, and something to lift your quad from the ground. Now take your rag, put some mineral spirits on it and wipe it over the chain. Then take your brush and SCRUB IT! Lastly clean up any residue and re-lube. Also ALWAYS make sure your chain deflection is set correctly. Adjust it with rider weight ON the quad. You can do this by laying stomach down on the seat and hanging over the back.

6. Steering stem clamp/bushing. Periodically remove and re-grease your stem clamp and bushings. Use a Marine Grade grease.

7. Save the shine. When washing your quad. Spray it down with a degreaser first and foremost. Wash the degreaser off. The use a rag and some dish-soap/water in a wash bucket and clean your quad till you feel satisfied BY HAND. Afterwards, WAX your quad. Regular auto wax will work just fine. Just follow the directions on the product. Paste Wax works best.

8. LUBE YOUR CABLES! I cannot stress this enough! Every once in a while remove your cables and spray some WD-40 or cable lube into the jacket and work it until it drips out the other end.

9. Airfilters. Take your awesome K&n filter, and throw it in the garbage. Nothing works better in the dirt than a foam filter. Foam filters work best for anything actually. Periodically clean/re-oil your air filter using the correct oils. A pair of pantyhose makes a chap effective pre-filter also. And dont forget to grease your air-filter where it sits against the box. It makes a POSITIVE seal.

(BTW I expect to get much feedback about this tip)

10.Wires. Periodically check your wiring for anything that may be broke or chafed and re-pair as necessary. Also, anywhere there is a ground, remove it and sand to bare metal.

11. Spark plugs. Although it may still seem good replace it. If you ride evry day, replace the plug about once every 1-2 months. Also everyone should be running what is called a "Resistor Plug"

This is all I can think of for now. I will update when I think of other things.

12. Installing a clutch. It is best to replace everything when doing this. This inlcudes frictions/steels/springs/cable and a new lever if you wish. Soak the friction plates in whatever oil you use in your trans for at least 24hrs. before they will be installed. Also before install, take your friction discs, lay them on the floor (ONLY IF YOUR FLOOR IS CONCRETE!!!) and put your foot on them and scratch them around. BE SURE to clean them really good with brake parts cleaner before install. If you do not have a concrete garage floor, find something nearby that is concrete to do it with. DO NOT sand them. Another thing that works good is to sand-blast the steels.

Reactions: underwaterboy82
great write up bro, but what is a "Resistor Plug" and what is it used for. also y scratch the friction plates around on the concrete. rep awarded though, great job.

Resistor plug is just that, a resistor plug. It resists radio interference for more consistent spark. You scratch the steels up for more GRABBIN POWA!!!!

yes it will give more grab but your friction plates will not last as long..
and your wrong about the plug...
resister plugs just make it so you can listen to your radio and run your quad at the same time without getting static on your radio or antenna tv...
and about the K&N they work great as long as your not lazy and take care of them and service them when they recomend and use a good prefilter..
and pantyhoes is NOTHING like a outerwears prefilter no comparison at all..

Ahh yes thats it about the plugs. Got that mixed up.

An I have proof both on the street and off that K&N filter suck at there job. Even when maintained properly. I'm not even going to argue about it.

And pantyhose are WIDELY used in racing. They make a CHEAP prefilter. It just helps so you do not have to clean the filter as often. If your riding through water an Outerwears wont even do anything for you if you get water in the box.

As far as scratchin steels goes. I've never had them wear prematurely. Matter of fact I've seen them last longer.

Like I said this is all stuff that has worked for me. I was trying to be nice and pass my good experiences along. See how well that worked, huh?

Last edited: