Mod Fever!!

Well my box came in today, and it is a fantastic piece of equipment. The only downside is I can’t fir both amps in the provided slot so I’m going to have to change my plans a bit.

Here is how it looks with the amp installed.

2vi3t3s.jpg

I then test fit it into the truck before I installed the subs. You can’t install the subs with the box in the truck, there is simply no room back there.

zwez9k.jpg

After the test fit I installed the subs and placed it in the truck. I already had all the wiring ran so I hooked it up to make sure everything was working correctly before I made it tidy. I soon found out that my PAC unit wasn’t supplying power to the blue remote wire, so I ripped the stereo out and made sure it was all connected and plugged in securely. It was! Next I broke out the multi meter to trace the problem. It seems the radio wasn’t supplying power to the PAC unit, so I’m not sure what the problem is there. Since I had the multi meter out I decided to search for another switched 12 volt wire back there. Guess what, there isn’t one. Not one freaking 12 volt switched wire on this stinking radio!

I eventually worked something out and found a suitable wire to power the remote, but I’m not going into it here. Once I had that problem sorted the amp and subs came to life. I was able to adjust the PAC outputs to where I wanted them so I buttoned the radio back up and started adjusting the amp. Sorry I didn’t take anymore pics, I was too frustrated, but I’ll get some more tomorrow when I tidy the whole thing up.

All in all it sound great, but I really don’t like where I have to position my seat to provide enough room for the subs. I’ll play with it a little more tomorrow and see if I can squeeze another notch or two out of the seat.

Got a chance to try and squeeze a click for my seat today. I noticed that no matter what I did I couldn’t get the box to sit all the way back. After looking it over for a few minutes I see why. The back of the truck is carper and insulation that is puffed out. Without pulling these out there is no way to get the box to sit back all the way without “making it”. I fabed up a couple 2 inch spacers to hold the box back. Once I did this it pushed the top of the box out. WTF!!! So much for a $180 box that is worry free! I then had to fab up a strap to hold the top into place. Once these were in I could actually put the seat where I needed it to be.

Couple pics of the temporary blocks and strap.

Spacers to hold the bottom back

xd6r5.jpg

And a strap for the top

2uj2vs0.jpg

I know this is redneck, and I can’t have that, so a solution is on it’s way