missing 3rd gear

MRSTARK44

Jan 16, 2011
Hey, finished with a complete re-build. new lower end, top end, clutch, and other small details. the tranny/clutch worked fine before the lower end sh*t the bit, but now, i simply do not have 3rd gear. i have worked on the clutch adjustment for 3 days now, probably a total of atleast 10 hours.

basically, the bike starts and runs beautifully. I shift it into 1st and it runs fine, second, things are great. then i hit 3rd and it sorta rattles as if theres something wrong, or loose. i don't know what cuz it doesn't do it in any other gear. i can then shift up past 3rd, and go into 4th. its then fine, and can go to 5th and 6th. its as if 3rd is an empty gear. think i put things together wrong? cuz the shifter is somewhat sticky in general.

i had the cases split, and everything outtta the cases, so ya id say so. the tranny gears, was that the thing that had the grooves in it, or were the gears the sprocket type thangs...everything went back together correctly, i think. i mean it all fit back together "right". is there any way i could know? like something to diagnose it?

Big bummer. I just had mine apart and I noticed how easy it would be to put one of the shift forks into the wrong place, instead of the slot in the gear. This is probably what happened to you.

The thing with the slots is the shift drum. It moves the shift forks, which move the gears into or out of engagement.

If you have a transmission problem, the cases have to come back apart. Unfortunately, transmission problems and case sealing problems are the only two things you can't do with the engine in the bike.

As a rule, I test out the operation of the transmission before the case sealant dries. That way, the only thing that could give me trouble later on is a leak between the case halves.

are there diagrams or pictures to show how everything should line up inside the cases/tranny?

help me with this thought...since when i shift into 3rd, and it acts as if its in neutral, could it be possible that it thinks it is in neutral, likke normally its 1 down 5 up. what if i put the "STAR" in improperly, and it thinks its 2 down, 4 up. and when it goes into 3rd it acts as if its neutral. this seems to work in my mind, because the bike doesn't have neutral anymore. its as if 3rd is the neutral. would this scenario work or make sense?

shift forks are in the wrong spot on the shift drum which means your pulling the motor back out and splitting the cases again.

here are some pics i took when i had the cases split, right before i put them together. can yall see anything wrong???

Pictures by mrstark44 - Photobucket

Dude, the looks of your cases aren't very good looking. You should have had those cases lapped. All that sealant sh*t...

EDIT: Upon looking at the rest of your pictures, it seemed that you have repaired the left case with that quicksteel...When you took the bottom end apart, did you replace that case?

Yeah take a look at this. The circled part needs to go where the arrow is pointing. Thats exactly what happened to me. Same shaft even.
vsdook.jpg

Also check out this video by Ken O'Connor about reassembly. He talks about the best way to get cases ready for sealant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: caseywoods5
dudeeeee thanks!!!!!! imma take them back apart and fix that. does that part have anything to do with the tranny???? why would it "sorta" work, im just worried that its somethign else...

also, i cleaned the cases right before i put them together..and i've had them together, on the bike for about 1.5 weeks, and there hasn't been a drop of tranny fluid drip out..so i think its sealed pretty well. thanks tho.

Thats one of the shift fork shafts. The shift forks move the gears into the proper place. Mine would seem to shift ok, but then it would just stop cold after moving a few inches. It was trying to put it into two gears at once. I'll bet that if you put that back in place it'll work. Make sure when you seal your cases try to shift it through the gears. You'll need to spin the inner clutch basket for it to shift. It's easier to split fresh sealant than cured stuff if you need to.

Last edited: