metal rattling in exhaust?

BlasterX2000

Mar 10, 2012
Florida
i got a 2000 blaster with a stock pipe and it has had a loud rattle for a few days and couldnt figure out what it was till my buddy started shaking the quad back and fourth u can hear a piece of metal boucing around in the pipe it sounds like one good sized piece not a bunch of small pieces could it just be the baffle broke off? because i was told it could be crank bearings but it only sounds like one piece but does highly resemble the sound of a ball bearing in a paint can. anyone got any ideas? :-/

Attachments

• thorr.jpg
    thorr.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 241
it's very possible that the baffle came loose. i would recommend pulling the pipe off and just make sure that's where it's coming from.

another similar sound could be caused by a leaky head gasket.

ok cause at first i thought it was a top end knock but my buddy was messin around and shaking it back and fourth and u can clear as day hear and feel the rattle coming from the fat part of the pipe after jiggling it for a second whatever it was fell further down the pipe and must have got stuck cause it stoped rattling for a bit but i do remmber the person i bought it from saying sumthing about the baffle just figured id be safe then sorry and ask

yup definitely sounds like the baffle came loose...

easy fix, buy a good aftermarket pipe! lol. you would be amazed at the difference it will make.

yea im thinking about it im a little short on cash right now seeing as how after a new pipe i will need to rejet my carb so i guess for now ima have to figure out a way to get it out. if it aint one thing its another lol

the only way to get it out would be to cut the pipe apart.

just save a bit of cash, a used FMF setup can be had around 100 bucks if you look around

I cant belive all the sh*tty advice and guesses with the obvious staring you guys in your faces!!!

Thats a definite sign that the MUFFLER BEARINGS are shot!

While you got her opened up might as well check your canooter valve as well its probably shot as well

there you go! pick that up and some jets (260, 270, 280, 290) and a few extra plugs and it'll be like riding a whole new machine!