LRD/high temp scilicon tape

Sometimes its better to buy new :/
If only you could buy this pipe new!!

I figured two springs on the one mount on the pipe would be fine, but now that you mention it I will test mine first! I will put 2 springs on and and move it or kick it a bunch to test strength. I would rather wreck my pipe than someone elses!

Also, to awk about moving the pipe right against the flange. Here's a picture of what it looks like. To move the pipe against the cylinder you would need to cut about 1.5 inch off of the straight piece that connects to the stinger. After that you would also need a 1.5 inch spacer between the pipe and the mount on the a-arm. So it could be done but with more modifications than what most people would want to.

Attachments

• 20150119_105116.jpg
    20150119_105116.jpg
    588.4 KB · Views: 213
O'Reillys still out of 1.5 ID pipe and I had them check stock. No idea when it would be in and I need to start building. So I took the advice of awk and checked out electrical conduit. The wall seems just barely thicker than what I was using so I bought a 10 foot section which was also cheaper than buying more parts.

Problems with it? It's galvanized obviously which can be fixed. The actual ID is slightly over 1.5 so I will have to cut and weld every piece length wise to make the right sized stuff. Which I'm fine with because it was cheaper than the cocorrect sized stuff

If only you could buy this pipe new!!

I figured two springs on the one mount on the pipe would be fine, but now that you mention it I will test mine first! I will put 2 springs on and and move it or kick it a bunch to test strength. I would rather wreck my pipe than someone elses!

Also, to awk about moving the pipe right against the flange. Here's a picture of what it looks like. To move the pipe against the cylinder you would need to cut about 1.5 inch off of the straight piece that connects to the stinger. After that you would also need a 1.5 inch spacer between the pipe and the mount on the a-arm. So it could be done but with more modifications than what most people would want to.

so thats why I had to add a 1-1/2" tab to bolt to the a-arm, the lrd flange I had was full depth as i'm describing. as are all other makes of flanges.
it took a flat 1-1/2" bracket, not a spacer, maybe it just allowed the pipe to roll into the flange ?
I've never seen a 1/2 flange as posted by someone else in this thread, and you are building.
of the 5 pipes I've owned, all were full depth flanges.
not saying what you're doing won't work, but..... full depth has twice the chance to seal vs. 1/2 (azzed) :)

I don't see why having it closer to the cylinder would create a better seal, show me any proof of it. It would probably prevent the pipe from twisting in place as much, but the flange I built goes in and out of the pipe just as much as the old lrd flange I had (the one you had).

And I do have the 1.5 inch bracket on the a-arm. In fact the picture I took I didn't even have that hooked up because it pulls it further away from the cylinder.

The new pipe is not exactly like the old one we had. It's not like any other pipe either. I don't know why you can't see that... if you still don't believe me you can ask fast6hand who has the a-arm mount and the flange like I have. You can fly here and try putting your special ct/f7/old lrd flange on it yourself if you don't think I'm right.

It won't work without modifications to the pipe.

Last edited:
I don't see why having it closer to the cylinder would create a better seal, show me any proof of it. It would probably prevent the pipe from twisting in place as much, but the flange I built goes in and out of the pipe just as much as the old lrd flange I had (the one you had).

And I do have the 1.5 inch bracket on the a-arm. In fact the picture I took I didn't even have that hooked up because it pulls it further away from the cylinder.

The new pipe is not exactly like the old one we had. It's not like any other pipe either. I don't know why you can't see that... if you still don't believe me you can ask fast6hand who has the a-arm mount and the flange like I have. You can fly here and try putting your special ct/f7/old lrd flange on it yourself if you don't think I'm right.

It won't work without momodifications to the pipe.

easy does it herp, I didn't mean to offend you.
LRD dropped the ball on this, not you.
you're just copying LRD's already poor design to match up with the pipe, for someone who doesn't have one and doing a fine job of it :)
and this thread was originally about that.....the 1/2 azzed LRD flange always leaking ?

you are correct though, I may not fully understand what you're dealing with, as I never had this exact pipe or flange.

I was jus sayin.....as prone as this pipe/flange is to leaking, it could and would benefit from all the pipe to flange mating depth as possible ?
not just closer to the cylinder, but deeper into or onto a longer flange.

easy does it herp, I didn't mean to offend you.
LRD dropped the ball on this, not you.
you're just copying LRD's already poor design to match up with the pipe, for someone who doesn't have one and doing a fine job of it :)
and this thread was originally about that.....the 1/2 azzed LRD flange always leaking ?

you are correct though, I may not fully understand what you're dealing with, as I never had this exact pipe or flange.

I was jus sayin.....as prone as this pipe/flange is to leaking, it could and would benefit from all the pipe to flange mating depth as possible ?
not just closer to the cylinder, but deeper into or onto a longer flange.
It truly is a horrible design. I believe I've been thread jacked, but it doesn't matter. This thread has gone in a good direction, and hopefully will help others.

When i made the flange i started with the inner piece about 3/8 of an inch longer.
then i cut off a little because i realized it wouldnt help any more.

the only way to get the inner one deeper into the pipe would be to put a dremel or grinder in and clean up the weld
i would make them longer if they would work without needing extra pipe work. does everyones pipe have weld inside it in the way? i dont know. but as-is someone can throw this on without modification (unless you have carbon build up, which will need to be removed)

It truly is a horrible design. I believe I've been thread jacked, but it doesn't matter. This thread has gone in a good direction, and hopefully will help others.
Ha, yeh sorry. i had planned on making a new thread after i mentioned making it, but it kinda took off. and you knew before other people

When i made the flange i started with the inner piece about 3/8 of an inch longer.
then i cut off a little because i realized it wouldnt help any more.

the only way to get the inner one deeper into the pipe would be to put a dremel or grinder in and clean up the weld
i would make them longer if they would work without needing extra pipe work. does everyones pipe have weld inside it in the way? i dont know. but as-is someone can throw this on without modification (unless you have carbon build up, which will need to be removed)

Ha, yeh sorry. i had planned on making a new thread after i mentioned making it, but it kinda took off. and you knew before other people
All is good. Maybe the title can be changed to better suit it.

so, any word on wether the silicon tape inside your flange is holding up or not ?

Nope. I started it the other day and had a major leak. So it's a no go. Maybe that tape isn't the same as you got.

hmmmm, maybe that was some secret goverment chit ?
I'm going to test teflon tape against a propane torch asap and see how it holds up.

Reactions: Fast6hand
So it will probably be end of next week when i finish these. being as i only have 2 days of class this week for various(stupid)reasons

i cut out 6 base flange parts, one it looked like i had a seizure during it, and another one had a side indent so they got trashed

with 4 remaining i tacked them inside and set to grinding them all to a good size. i also drilled them while together. im thinking it was all a bad idea and i might restart. because so far i have 3 left and its sketchy as to if the hole is centered or not!

i have a plan for the next ones so they dont get messed up