Low Compression ?

generalsnbandit

Aug 17, 2009
Covington, Ga
www.southerncr.com
As you can see I am new here. Although I am pretty good with old hotrods, my son has an 01 Blaster that seems to be giving me some problems. My brother in law is excellent with 4 strokes but like I he is stumped on this 2 stroke prob. I have checked the other posts here but none address my same problem.

Heres the quad specs.
01 Blaster, has new .80 over piston, cylinder/head were bored/honed/surfaced, Aftermarket exhaust (BG I think), K&N filter, not sure about aftermarket reeds or carb mods, No longer oil injected (mixed fuel), has aluminum Raptor wheels/tires, with nerf bars, pictured on my profile,

Motor History: Motor was built about a year ago by my Brother in law, this was due to a hole in the piston most likely due to my use of the wrong fuel can (now all are correctly marked), in which unmixed fuel was run and caused meltdown to piston, Piston replaced, cylinder was machined .060 and inspected for damage along with head (but not surfaced this time).

Motor put together and ran well for several months of use, then motor problems again, did a compression test (60 psi), once apart it was found that we had a blown head gasket due to head bolts pulling the old/used threads out (yes they were torqued correctly) that caused a lean condition and started melting piston but caught early, Had cylinder machined/bored/honed .080 over, head surfaced, new piston/rings/bearing/spark plug/clips/gaskets, all bolt holes helicoiled put back together and torqued.

Problem: Once everything was back together, we went through a couple of warm up and cool down break ins, after that we checked/tunned for air/fuel mixture, once that was done he took it for a couple of partial throttle runs with cool downs in between. Once this was done there were a couple of 1/2 throttle runs and noticed a slight bog or power loss about 1/2 throttle, After that we took a run and shut the engine off with it at about 2/3 throttle. Looking at the spark plug showed what appears to be a lean condition (very light grey/white on the spark plug tip). We checked the compression to find we have 87 psi. Reeds do need replaced but not in to bad condition. Carb adjustment appears to be Ok, idles excellent with a slight blue haze, mixture is good which has now been perfected if theres a such thing. All top end is new!!

In a nut shell we have 87psi compression and a power loss above 1/2 throttle. Anyone have any suggestions? Is there anything in the bottom end that could cause issues (cracked case, etc...)? What should my compression be at (Comp tester with valve used)? Please help before my 12 yr old drives me crazy due to with drawls. Thanks! Jay -generalsnbandit

sounds like somthing not right in the top end compression should be 120 or higher..take the carb bowl off and see what main jet is in it....

from the color of the plug you need a go up on the main jet.you could possibly still have an airleak somewhere which it cuasin you the same problem as before.start it up and spray some starting fluid around the base and head gaskets to see if you still have a leak

I'm not positive, but I believe the compression is supposed to be around 140psi. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Sounds to me like a 12 yr old needs to learn how to work on his quad. (sure he might need some guidance, but it would be a great chance to learn. and hey its never to early to start)

Thanks guys, Everything was fine in the begiining with this jet but of course that was when it was .040 over and now we are .080 over which might make a difference. We will check the jets tomorrow, like you said may need larger jet and I also agree, I thought compression should had been between 140 and 160. When we did the top end we put new rings in it. Bought the Wiseco top end rebuild kit.

As far as the 12 yr old working on this thing, he's really interested in quads so he is there helping when anyone is working on his quad and he loves it. For now we will check the jets but I am still unsure whats causing the low compression. Jay

what kind of comp tester are you using cause i used my snap-on tester on minewith the long tube adapter and had 100 psi and i found that it didnt have a schrader valve in the end were it screws in the head and was acting like a bigger combustion chamber and giving false reading so i used the short adapter withe the schrader in the end and had 125 psi just some food for thought

Reactions: BlasterMaster15
the 87 psi is way low if its an accurate reading. the power loss could be due to a lean condition, but with 87 psi of compression, jetting isnt going to solve a whole lot. any chance there are still bits of metal in the crankcase being sucked up into the cylinder and causing premature wear of the cylinder and rings?

the 87 psi is way low if its an accurate reading. the power loss could be due to a lean condition, but with 87 psi of compression, jetting isnt going to solve a whole lot. any chance there are still bits of metal in the crankcase being sucked up into the cylinder and causing premature wear of the cylinder and rings?

Thanks everyone for the help, I got it figured out but still got one adjustment to make. Boy did this thing come alive. Carb setting was adjusted up since it was running a little lean which took most of the bog out of it but have ordered reeds due to small cracks found in them. Compression tester is being checked to accuracy/ O rings replaced, after getting the jetting right theres no way we are that low on compression. It runs and idles excellent but still has that very slight bog but reeds may fix that. Thanks for the help everyone. Jay

what kind of comp tester are you using cause i used my snap-on tester on minewith the long tube adapter and had 100 psi and i found that it didnt have a schrader valve in the end were it screws in the head and was acting like a bigger combustion chamber and giving false reading so i used the short adapter withe the schrader in the end and had 125 psi just some food for thought

THANK YOU SO MUCH! i have a brand new wiseco top end that showed up to be 107 psi i was going to but new rings today and i thought i screwed up then i read this and tried my schrader valve one and it was accually like 140!! THANK YOU YOU SAVED ME A NEW SET OF RINGS!! rep given!!