Losing my mind...I need help!!!

diesel

Jun 10, 2009
Jacksonville, Illinois
So the neighbor kid had a Blaster that didn’t run, no compression, and asks me if I’d help him out. No problem, I thought. Fast forward three weeks and I’m about to lose my mind. Here’s where I’m at…

1996 Blaster Specs
K&N air filter, cleaned & oiled, airbox lid removed
Stock carb with TORS, 32.5 pilot, 250 main, needle 3rd clip, 1-½ turns out on the air screw
Injector pump removed; running on pre-mix
Floats set to 21.50mm with digital caliper
New Boyesen reeds
New crank seals
Fresh bore & hone, new .060” over piston, new gaskets
Everything torqued to spec, no air leaks
Fresh NGK B8ES gapped at .028”
Stock exhaust & silencer (kid cleaned the pipe out with Drano...lots of carbon came out)

Problem
The quad fires on the first kick and idles great, but as soon as the throttle is opened past 1/8, it falls on its face and will die if you don’t chop the throttle and drop it back down to idle. This is with no load on the engine. If you attempt to put a load on the engine by riding it, you can’t open the throttle past about 1/8 or it dies. Also with a load on the engine there is noticeable white exhaust smoke, but I haven’t noticed a stench like tranny oil. Basically, the engine likes the pilot jet, but at all other throttle openings it stalls out. I lowered the needle one clip position (clip in #2 groove) to lean the mid-range and that seemed to help, but didn’t come close to fixing the bogging problem.
Could this be the TORS? I’m going to put new pre-mix in the quad tonight, but the kid swears he used pre-mix oil at 32:1…he even acted pissed off when I suggested it could be the gas he put in it. The 250 main wouldn’t be too rich for the open airbox/K&N would it? I can’t imagine a 250 being too rich when stock is 230. Do you think it’s a center case leak? The white smoke with load on the engine doesn’t stink like tranny oil though.

I’m baffled and the kid’s mom is getting pissed, can someone shed some light on this problem, PLEASE?

Last edited:
i would disconnect the tors just to rule it out. and i would would try popping the 230 main back in. i didn't see any thing for a pipe so i am guessing he's running the stock pipe?. how is your plug looking nice and wet?.

sounds like tors to me, disconnect it and see what happens, search on here for how to,
check the compression with a tester, some say do a leakdown test to check for seal/case half leak???
you didnt tell us what year it is, its my understanding that the 03 - 06's have some brake sensors also that will act like this????
also take the exhaust off and check for clogs....heard guys talkin 'bout mice building nests in them???
i'm basically stock except for a uni-filter, and a 240 main made mine act like that

sounds like ur leaking tranny oil either through the case halfs or a crank seal (clutch side) white stinky smoke is a sure sign of burning trans oil

you didnt tell us what year it is

It's a 1996, I edited my original post to show the year now.

take the exhaust off and check for clogs....heard guys talkin 'bout mice building nests in them???

The kid cleaned out a ton of carbon from the expansion chamber (he said he used Drano)

i'm basically stock except for a uni-filter, and a 240 main made mine act like that

Damn. What makes the Blaster so sensitive to main jet size? I've run Honda 250R's in the dead of winter with massive mains to prevent running lean in the cold, dense winter air and never had a problem.

sounds like ur leaking tranny oil either through the case halfs or a crank seal (clutch side) white stinky smoke is a sure sign of burning trans oil

The engine did spew white, stinky smoke after the initial top-end rebuild. That problem was addressed by replacing the crank seals. Now it smokes under load but it doesn't stink.

One other thing...If I give it a quick shot of throttle and immediately let off, the engine will rev out, then come back to idle like normal. I just can't hold the throttle open. Also, if I gradually open the throttle, ever so slowly, the engine starts to rev out some too, but once I hit 1/2 throttle it bogs down and dies.

Reading about TORS, it sounds like a lot of people have the same trouble I'm experiencing. Idles great, but dies if you try to ride it. I'll definitely be removing the TORS if the kid that own's the Blaster gives me permission. Then if I still have the same trouble, I can investigate the electrical as Kennedy suggested.

Maybe the smoke is residual trans oil from before the crank seals were replaced. There would still be some trans oil in the crankcase, and it would need some serious airflow/turbulence to pick it up, move it through the transfer ports, and deliver it to the combustion chamber. Possibly why it doesn't smoke at idle, but starts to smoke as I attempt to rev it out...then again, the smoke doesn't seem to stink.

you can just disconnect the tors at the carb and "brain" under the hood, and if it doesnt help hook it back up, i dont think you'd need permission for that, after all he brought it to you to fix, do what ya gotta do

I called a buddy of mine that used to work on a lot of Blasters and he told me to check the e-brake switch. Apparently the e-brake switch limits the RPM's. This Blaster doesn't have the wire lead that's supposed to plug into the stock brake lever perch. It's completely missing and I don't see it in the service manual schematic. Can someone help me out?

Last edited:
Only the new blasters have e brake switches. the 96's doesn't so it's a diff problem. kennedy might be right sounds like possibly a timing/electrical issue. check the stator to see if the woodruff key is correct and not broken sheared,

Pic from an '02. See the sensor just above the threaded barrel adjuster?
DSCF0270.jpg

My bike is doing the same thing right now and I also just replaced crank seals and rebuilt the top end. Im almost 100% positive that its leaking in between the case half's and in to the combustion chamber because I split it not that long ago.