Looking to buy a YFZ with a "starting relay problem" help!

BlasterMaster15

Jan 23, 2011
New jersey
i am looking to buy a yfz 450 on craigslist and the guy says everythign is fine but the starting relay is broken. he says he can hear it buzz. i am asking about this because i dont see why a broken relay would be buzzing and i am wondering if this is just a way of him trying to cover up a much bigger problem like a siezed top end. what could this be? could it really just be that relay? i am mainly confused because of how cheap a relay is and the fact that he wouldnt just put in a new relay and have it run perfect. he also has it up for really cheap. any help is appreciated

a relay will buzz, if something is wired wrong or if bad and trying to run voltage through it. However, relays are fairly cheap(regularly, not sure about the one in question) and can be replaced pretty easy. This would throw some flags up in my book. It could be all thats wrong and the guy just doesnt want to deal with it, or he could be covering up a mess of topend/valve work. I would inspect this thing thorougly before dropping the cash.

electric starters will buzz when there isnt enough power to turn the motor over, i know this for a fact, it could be just a low/dead battery,bring a cheap walmart battery with u to look at it, if that isnt it u can return the battery

What Alex said. A bad battery or bad battery connection can cause the buzz. It could also be a bad ground from the battery to the frame. His idea about the cheap walmart battery is a good one.

very true if the battery leads are loose or corroded they will make the solenoid buzz due to the lack of power ,it can buzz pretty damn loud

yup as they said,but they do that when the bottom end is locked up is it a 04/05 yea?my bet is its locked up but just connect jump leads from your car to the yfz and try start it if the bussing is just getting louder and faster the its locked up you can try manualy crank it,take the plug out and spin it with the ratchet should spin real easy...good luck and if you do get it and it needs a solinoid i have a spear you can have

yeah its a 2005 so it could be siezed up. if it is should i still get it if i can get him to drastically lower the price? how much is a rebuild on one of those?

Negative.....if you don't hear the thing fire up and run....then you need to look elsewhere REGARDLESS OF WHAT THE SELLER TELLS YOU! Never buy anything based on what the seller tells you.

Unfortunately YFZ's aren't cheap to own like a blaster, and rebuilding a YFZ motor will cost you at least $2k .

I picked up an '05 YFZ with original engine and no oil mod.....and my engine works just fine. So they all don't need the oil mod, but it's definitely a smart way to go.....which is why I'm sending my case in next week for the upgrade :)

Negative.....if you don't hear the thing fire up and run....then you need to look elsewhere REGARDLESS OF WHAT THE SELLER TELLS YOU! Never buy anything based on what the seller tells you.

Unfortunately YFZ's aren't cheap to own like a blaster, and rebuilding a YFZ motor will cost you at least $2k .

I picked up an '05 YFZ with original engine and no oil mod.....and my engine works just fine. So they all don't need the oil mod, but it's definitely a smart way to go.....which is why I'm sending my case in next week for the upgrade :)

are you smoking something????? really i just fully rebuilt mine with a stroker crank for under €500

Actually, yes I am...if you must know :p.

I assumed he wouldn't do the bottom-end rebuild himself, which would cost a fair bit more.

So was this your very first YFZ rebuild and how's it run?

lol even with labour here they cost 1100 to rebuild but idk about there lol very good thanks starts the second you touch the button and pulls through all the gears perfectly and alot more powerfult then stock ,im chuffed lol i nearly did a race gear-shift setup but decided to leave the complex stuff till next time :p