Looking for a bit help.

Anthonylewis89

May 24, 2020
Hi there new to the forum, need couple bits of advice. Got a knocking on my 1999 blaster which i thought was piston slap, full top end rebuild fired up and still there. Now it sounds like its coming from inside the right side engine casing.

what i did notice is the kick start spindle was sort of loose, the gear on the spindle had alot of give sort of sode to side, any one had this issue or is that normal? Any help would be greatly appreciated and also were i can find the part if so!

ps the picture is not mine just google image.

thanks

Attachments

• 09782D2A-DD71-4C5B-8143-F2B3AC6E58A7.jpeg
    09782D2A-DD71-4C5B-8143-F2B3AC6E58A7.jpeg
    420.3 KB · Views: 148
Hi there new to the forum, need couple bits of advice. Got a knocking on my 1999 blaster which i thought was piston slap, full top end rebuild fired up and still there. Now it sounds like its coming from inside the right side engine casing.

what i did notice is the kick start spindle was sort of loose, the gear on the spindle had alot of give sort of sode to side, any one had this issue or is that normal? Any help would be greatly appreciated and also were i can find the part if so!

thanks
Welcome to the forum.when you did your rebuild did you check the conecting rod for up and down play at tdc and bdc. Also side clearance at thrust washers on big end of crank. Crank bearings? When do you hear the knocking? Possibly detonation?

Welcome to the forum.when you did your rebuild did you check the conecting rod for up and down play at tdc and bdc. Also side clearance at thrust washers on big end of crank. Crank bearings? When do you hear the knocking? Possibly detonation?

Hello, thanks for the reply mate. We checked the rod and seemed to have some play right and left but nothing major, but was fine up and down. Do i need to have cylinder and head off to check thrust washer and crank bearings? I am new to taking it to bits basically just read online, you thbe and hatnes manual! So excuse me if i seem a bit slow haha

thanks.

Hello, thanks for the reply mate. We checked the rod and seemed to have some play right and left but nothing major, but was fine up and down. Do i need to have cylinder and head off to check thrust washer and crank bearings? I am new to taking it to bits basically just read online, you thbe and hatnes manual! So excuse me if i seem a bit slow haha

thanks.
Side to side is normal. Ussualy checked with a feeler gauge between rod and thrust bearing.with rod pushed to one side.if it's under .028 your good. Have you had a blaster before? When do you hear this noise. These air cooled blaster motors are alittle noisey in general imo. Was head milled? Check crank bearings.pop stator cover and see if flywheel moves up and down. Can also do the same for other side.

Last edited:

thanks
That shaft moves only when you kick it

That shaft moves only when you kick it

When it is in place with spring and wverything on it just seems like there is alot of play on the gear but cant see any wear or chattering or anything, but seems like the rattling is coming from that exact ppace if i put screw driver to my ear and on the case.

When it is in place with spring and wverything on it just seems like there is alot of play on the gear but cant see any wear or chattering or anything, but seems like the rattling is coming from that exact ppace if i put screw driver to my ear and on the case.
Like larry said the only time that gear moves is when kicker is used. pull clutch cover and check everything. Check balance shaft gear for loosness and up and down play in bearings. It's driven off crank. They do go bad and can cause some damage when they com unglued.check clutch basket for up and down play. Also the idler gear between clutch basket and kick start gear.check for in and out play and up and down. Make sure the snap rings. Didn't come of or move.there is one behind the gear with a washer and in front whit a washer. Basically give it a good look and check everything:cool: