• Nay

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You idiot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

04YamahaRider

Jun 11, 2011
Cullman, Alabama
Hello all, Well yesterday I got bored and decided to download the Craigslist app on my cell for the heck of it, and I just happened to find a stock 1993 Banshee for trade, Now this has been a bit of a dream quad of mine for..well basically since I've had quads. I asked the guy if he'd like to trade, I've currently got a basically stock 2007 YFZ450 that needs a full service and front tires (but everything it needs I have). Now I know a little about 2-strokes but I just want to know some things to watch out for since I've never had a Banshee.

Now before y'all say anything about me being an idiot for trading the YFZ for something 2x it's age that needs a few things, well its a Banshee (all that I really need to say), but these are SUPER hard to come by in my area and are Never stock, and when they do come up for sale they're usually $3,000 or more. YFZ's in my area are usually $2500 for a stock one.

The Banshee in question has recently had a new clutch and trans fluid changed with " 0 miles on it" , and a new set of sprockets. He runs a 35:1 mixture, and " a year ago before he got it, it was supposedly rebuilt by a Yamaha dealer" Starts on 1st kick he says.

Now according to him it's a solid bike mechanically, tires are good, it's Lowered in the rear for some reason. but it needs a seat cover, foot rests and heal guards. Now I can live with a somewhat torn seat but I won't deal with the rear tires nipping at my feet, so OEM foot guards and rests total at around $190 @ Rocky Mtn. So there's that.

Pictures will be up momentarily of both bikes.

Any help is very much appreciated!!

* I have yet to go look at it but we have decided sometime this week to meet up and check out each others bikes before we make a deal. He's waiting on his work schedule this week till we set a day so I may know tonight.

Last edited:
Screenshot_2014-11-16-19-12-28.png
Screenshot_2014-11-16-19-18-32.png

Your story sounds a lot like mine. I always wanted a banshee since I was a kid in the late 80's.

I found one with low compression. Rebuilt the motor totally, fought with carbs, electrical messes etc.

The main thing is I finally got what I wanted. My advise would be check it for straightness. The frames are known to bend up near the handle bars. Check the bearings and bushings out, that can add up.

As far as ripping into the motor, it was actually the easiest set of cases I ever tore into. If you have time, rip it t down, and have it checked all out. Check the crank, cylinder bore's, transmission gears etc.

Its a lot of work but in the long run, if its something you always wanted do it right and you'll always be happy.

Your story sounds a lot like mine. I always wanted a banshee since I was a kid in the late 80's.

I found one with low compression. Rebuilt the motor totally, fought with carbs, electrical messes etc.

The main thing is I finally got what I wanted. My advise would be check it for straightness. The frames are known to bend up near the handle bars. Check the bearings and bushings out, that can add up.

As far as ripping into the motor, it was actually the easiest set of cases I ever tore into. If you have time, rip it t down, and have it checked all out. Check the crank, cylinder bore's, transmission gears etc.

Its a lot of work but in the long run, if its something you always wanted do it right and you'll always be happy.

Thanks a bunch for the input! Really I'd love a Banshee but I'm happy with my YFZ, so I won't be too hurt if this deal falls through but I was planning on selling the YFZ anyway once I serviced it. The YFZ has a lil too much power for the riding I do ( I love it though :D ) and I was going to use that cash to build my Blaster being that I'm out of work right now (People don't hire teenagers outside of the food biz here apparently :(, I'm still hopeful though) and speaking of being broke, that's why I couldn't tear down the 'Shee engine if I do get it, I'll do a compression check and leak down test but I won't tear it down unless I absolutely have to. I plan on fully restoring it eventually, with the '03 Special Ed. Black & Yella graphics. A guy I used to ride with had that '03 and I've been in love with Banshee's ever since then.

Personally, I wouldn't buy or trade for a bone stock Banshee. You can spend a ton of money on a Banshee. Find one that someone has already spent a ton of money on. Look for one that has more money in aftermarket parts than the selling price of the Banshee. Pipes, wheels, tires, swingarm, reeds, carbs, filters, axle, A arms, shocks, etc.

BTW, in the rear pic of that one you posted, it looks like the rear subframe is bent down on the right side. (Or up on the left side)

Personally, I wouldn't buy or trade for a bone stock Banshee. You can spend a ton of money on a Banshee. Find one that someone has already spent a ton of money on. Look for one that has more money in aftermarket parts than the selling price of the Banshee. Pipes, wheels, tires, swingarm, reeds, carbs, filters, axle, A arms, shocks, etc.

BTW, in the rear pic of that one you posted, it looks like the rear subframe is bent down on the right side. (Or up on the left side)

Thanks for the input Bluesman.

Yeah, I noticed the rear pic looked slightly askew once I got it posted and could see it on a bigger screen than my phone, but I believe that's because it's not on a level surface. I'll look it over carefully when we meet, It'll be on a more level surface then.

The problem with my area, if I do find a Banshee with all that stuff, they want $4K+, Cash only. But the thing is I don't want a modded out Banshee, At most I'd put a set of pipes and Vforce reeds on it. I like my stuff relatively stock, just modded tastefully. Most people here in Bama don't seem to know what tastefully means, they're usually ragged out power houses or full on drag bikes and that kills me to see. Surprisingly that one I'm looking at is one of the nicer ones for the 'price'.
I paid $1800 for my YFZ a year and a half ago, so that's not horrible in my opinion to pay for that Banshee knowing it'll be my last quad unless they come out with a new 2-smoker.

A stock Banshee has just the power I'll need right now, with room to grow if I need but like I said, pipes will probably be one of the only things power wise I'll ever do to it. I like power but I don't need an un-usable speed demon for a woods bike.

oh and here's an example of some of the crap I see.

http://huntsville.craigslist.org/snw/4757756724.html

you can go to a library and use there computer for craiglist if you really want to get after it,also use google maps or directions for how far of a drive it iso_O
i had a guy drive 3hrs to me ,to buy a 600 dollar xr100 lol:eek: he lived in ny and i live in ma

2 1/2 hours from you i think?

http://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/4759556508.html

70 minutes i think lol

http://bham.craigslist.org/snw/4734320120.html

posted a month ago??
close to you

http://bham.craigslist.org/snw/4711546714.html

2 hr 45 min ouch lol
http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/snw/4728751607.html

close but 2500 bucks

http://bham.craigslist.org/snw/4723787484.html

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the input, I have decided not to meet with the guy. I did a little looking around but I will just keep the YFZ for a while because I know it's a solid bike and I'll just play it safe because of my income. I really just needed to sleep on it and assess my financial situation further.

Yes I've heard the term that Banshee's are '' Double the trouble, and double the cost ''. But really if my YFZ blew up I'd be looking at around the same if not more to rebuild it (bc I really don't want to do it), I just don't like working on 4-strokes and would rather build a 2-stroke any day. So a Banshee would be less headache, for me, to rebuild than a 4s.

When I had my old Blaster, every time I bumped the throttle I had a huge grin on my face, these 4-strokes just don't do it for me like the 2-strokes do, the smell, the sound, the power delivery. I love everything about the 2-stroke, I don't get to ride that often so more maintenance doesn't bother me, It just gives me another excuse to be messing with my bike :D

Don't get me wrong I love the YFZ, the damn thing rides wheelies through every gear while spinning the tires the whole time ( and yes that is very sketchy to do :eek:) lol, but it's just not the same to me, riding is riding and it is always enjoyable but it is way better when you got a 2-smoker between your legs. (IMO)

Thanks again everyone for the input, I love this forum for that. When I'm truly ready to switch rides, I'll be on the lookout for a Banshee. I'm just too determined to get one and have both of Yamaha's 2-stroke brothers. :D

Reactions: dirtysquared
Although this is not the kind of deal I am used to getting, this one isn't too bad for your area. From what I can see, it has beadlock wheels, FMF pipes, Nerf bars, grab bar, front bumper, and Elka shocks. The description is pretty vague. It might even have a bunch more goodies.

http://nwga.craigslist.org/snw/4727422542.html

Double the trouble? Naw, look at it as tuning two high strung 175s at the same time. The Banshee crankcase is The Easiest of ANY engine to split/assemble.

Double the cost? Duh, it's two cylinders. A Wiseco piston costs about the same, no matter what engine it is for. Most all other parts are simular cost (brgs, bushings, etc) Tho a crank is 3-x of a blaster.

The 2s smile with a Banshee? Priceless :D :D