Locked up then not locked up

mud_dog

Sep 15, 2009
Hi,
New to blasters and new to this forum. I just bought a 2002 blaster for dirt cheap that was locked up. It would not kick over. The previous owner said he was stretching it out down a paved road, then it locked up. I figured the piston had gaulded or something broke. I pulled the jug off and the walls and the piston are perfect. I started to take the motor out after this and removed the chain. when I pulled the chain the piston moved, so i moved the kick start with my hand and it was freed up. Smooth as silk. I had it in neutral before, and it rolled in neutral although not nearly as easy as when i had the chain off. Any ideas on what is going on? should i put it back together minus the chain and start it?

Thanks everybody for the welcome. As far as the sprocket goes, I will have to check it out. What could that have to do with it? It definately rolled about 10 times easier with the chain off, than with it just in neutral

Welcome to the forum, you might have some thing in you crank case some thing that broke and it jammed the crank so that it could not move and while you played with it it came loos from where it was stuck

just my idea of what could have happend

i would look more toward the trans side.. if something was broke in the "crankcase" you'd know it.. if the piston and cyl are perfect there is nothing to fall into the crankcase.. i would pull the clutch cover off and look around in there. see if anythying looks strange.. it's just cheap insurance before you go tossing it back together..

your locking up problem cold be as easy as replaceing the kicker assembly.. but you'll need to pull the clutch cover off an take a good look. my GF's quad did something similar right after we bought it.. i came to find out there was some carnage inside... broken dogs on a couple gears, a wasted crank seal.. a few other problems.. really inspecting a quad when you get it home is a good idea.. unless you find a really cool seler who will let you disassemble his bike before you buy it haha