Lighting ideas/questions

mithuth

Apr 16, 2009
Warren, PA 16365
My blaster had some sort of motorcycle headlight/number plate assembly on the front when I bought it. I've removed it and decided to add new lighting to it. I was wondering if anyone has used LED lights up front, and if so, what were your end results? I figure since the LEDs have way less amp/watt draw than an incandescent bulb, they should work without much problems, and would be much brighter than what I had on it to begin with.

Also, is it possible to add a small 12v capacitor to help alleviate the dimming and surging of the headlight when you idle or add throttle? I hate the light/dark effect the headlights do between revs. though the LED assemblies may relieve me of that without a capacitor. I'm still curious.

Here's a quick picture of the LED lights I already have on my Jeep as back up lights. I figured if U can wire them to the wheeler instead, they'd come in handy. The are prototype 12 LED work lights from a tractor trailer. I got them when I worked at a light mfging plant back in 04. they're so bright I've used them as headlights when mounted to the front of my Jeep.

LEDs-single.jpg

Those lights are probably going to want to draw too much power from the stator. That would cause many problems in the future. I would recommend getting the walmart driving lights and switching out the light bulbs to 20w each. This sounds like they wouldn't be bright but they are brighter than stock. As for the capacitor I am really not sure. I have wondered the same thing for awhile now. It does get annoying when they dim.

Those lights are probably going to want to draw too much power from the stator. That would cause many problems in the future. I would recommend getting the walmart driving lights and switching out the light bulbs to 20w each. This sounds like they wouldn't be bright but they are brighter than stock. As for the capacitor I am really not sure. I have wondered the same thing for awhile now. It does get annoying when they dim.

The draw from the LEDs is less than a standard bulb. When I hook them up as turn signals, they blink rapidly. The computer in my Jeep thinks I have a blown bulb. That's what got me thinking to use them on a quad.

My concern with a capacitor would be riding it in the wet mud and soaking it. It would have to be placed inside some form of water resistant enclosure, then heat becomes an issue...

Just so i have an idea on the light intensity, does anyone have any night pictures of the stock lighting and/or the walmart light upgrade?
I'd also be interested in other light upgrade options if you have any.

Just so i have an idea on the light intensity, does anyone have any night pictures of the stock lighting and/or the walmart light upgrade?
I'd also be interested in other light upgrade options if you have any.

let there be light!!!! with capacitors, the big downside is if you have one thes too small...they explode. easier to add a small 12v battery. requires floating the ground on the stator and adding a $30 rectifier. this is twin HID in converted cibie superoscars

Attachments

• 800-Sun, 21 Nov 2004 17_56_ [800x600] [640x480].JPG
    800-Sun, 21 Nov 2004 17_56_ [800x600] [640x480].JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 122