lightened flywheel and timing advance review

super noober

Can't Stop, Won't Stop!
Feb 17, 2009
upstate ny
finally got my new lightened flywheel on last night and while i was in there i went ahead and did the DIY +4 timing mod and i have to say i really like the results :D I:I. the flywheel is definately noticeable but in all postive ways, the rpm's jump alot quicker now wich is great when u want to hop over things in the woods. i even tried lugging it bad to see what happens and honestly i feel it made it better because when i did hit the gas the power just jumped right up and away i went. i did multiple checks with my infrared to see how the timing affected my temps and because i do it alot i have a good baseline. i was surprised to find that after some real hard riding my head is actually running about 10* cooler at between 211F and 225F. just past the exhaust port reads 360-400ish, not sure if thats too much but the head and cylinder run cool as can be. so all in all im definately happy with both of these mods, not gonna recomend them though lol thats for u to decide ;)

Nice write Up Noobs! So advanicing the timing with all the mods you have seem to help on the power end and on the Heat end. Surely can't complain about that.

Even lugging on the Flywheel didn't have an adverse affect , That's great news, Di ya test it on hill climbs too? Great review!

Nice write Up Noobs! So advanicing the timing with all the mods you have seem to help on the power end and on the Heat end. Surely can't complain about that.

Even lugging on the Flywheel didn't have an adverse affect , That's great news, Di ya test it on hill climbs too? Great review!

thanks man, and oh yeah it was definately a power gain, im in love all over again lol :D. havent tried it on the steep hills yet but im sure its going to great I:I. the infrared is a awesome tool, everyone should have one. we got test and tune at our local dirt track next weekend so im pretty excited to see what she can do this year :D :D

nice, ive been wanting to get my hands on a infrared to check the running temps with timing, do you have pics of the flywheel? what exactly did you do to lighten it-holes/skim? and how much did you take off?

i think he had flotek lightnen it for him.. sounds good noob! i know i could tell a difference with the lightned flywheel. lets see a vid or 2 of you launching with the wheelie bar on :)

Whered you get the flywheel from noober?

flotek did it for me and i would like to take this opportunity to say thanks denny, this blasty wouldnt be nearly what it is without ya! I:I

i think he had flotek lightnen it for him.. sounds good noob! i know i could tell a difference with the lightned flywheel. lets see a vid or 2 of you launching with the wheelie bar on :)

ohhh yeah man, im dragging the wife with me to take vids next weekend :D

sorry to pull this one from the depths of dead threads, but anyone know what flotek is charging to lighten flywheels?

Id like to know how u get it balanced or id try n do my own. Even though u take off the metal evenly al the way arond the part. I think the metal has variations in its density which might throw it off. I think this because the stock part has holes drilled all over

sorry to pull this one from the depths of dead threads, but anyone know what flotek is charging to lighten flywheels?

im not sure about flotek charges but ken oconnor is $65 shipped. i sent him mine a few weeks ago and i was very plesed with turn around and power gains!

don't lighten them IMO. blasters already have little torque at low rpm with its small engine size then throw in the fact its a 2 stroke now you need all the torque you can get.

it can work on dirt. I had an 8 oz lightened flywheel and while you might feel faster your not. just shifting quicker and working harder because you don't have enough inertia to keep rpm up for the next gear.

and if you dune ride the stocker wins HANDS down.

sand slows your revs much quicker in between shifts than dirt. you'd be faster less shifting and feel torqier with stock flywheel.

tried a -6 on my yfz for kicks. not a huge difference on this bike .....but I'm back with the stocker on the yfz as well.

didn't gain anything on flat drags and while it felt it reved quicker I was shifting more too.

no point in lightning it if your making more power especially. too light isn't good and too heavy fir your power output isn't good

don't lighten them IMO. blasters already have little torque at low rpm with its small engine size then throw in the fact its a 2 stroke now you need all the torque you can get.

it can work on dirt. I had an 8 oz lightened flywheel and while you might feel faster your not. just shifting quicker and working harder because you don't have enough inertia to keep rpm up for the next gear.

and if you dune ride the sticker wins HANDS down.

sand slows your revs much quicker in between shifts than dirt. you'd be faster less shifting and feel torqier with stock flywheel.

tried a -6 on my yfz for kicks. not a huge difference on this bike .....but I'm back with the stocker on the yfz as well.

didn't gain anything on flat drags and while it felt it reved quicker I was shifting more too.

no point in lightning it if your making more power especially. too light isn't good and too heavy fir your power output isn't good

i agree a lightened flywheel isnt going to be a gain like porting but rather its a piece of a bigger puzzle of things all working together to maximize output

Reactions: BlasterPat