Leaking crank collar question

R3dtick

Sep 7, 2016
I've watched the sticky on the fix for a leaking crank collar and read through the thread but didn't see a definitive answer. I replaced my crank with a vitos +3 and got my engine back together but doing a leak down on the bench found i was leaking between my crank collar and the crankshaft. If I buy a new collar is it a definite fix for the problem or is there a possibility i may still have to do the copper RTV fix on a new collar? I don't have a problem buying a new one since they're only $10 but wanted to know if it would be a sure fix.

Is the reccomended sealant the copper rtv or yamahbond. I'm always a little skeptical about rtv and gasoline mixing, have had good and bad results with it

Reactions: OConnor Racing
I've used hi temp copper on every intake I've had off with no signs of fuel degrading it.
Yamabond seals the case halves together.
Both exposed to fuel, but I think the copper stays a little more flexible which would be better for rotating parts. IMO.

What's odd is Blasters leak at the collar and Banshees leak at the keyway. I've gotten to where I do both on either engine. Don't have to remember which needs what.

Actually I do it to any 2s I work on.

You did use NEW, quality seals ??